outside moisture drawn thru exhaust fan

Old 01-12-03, 12:30 PM
gwchip
Visiting Guest
outside moisture drawn thru exhaust fan

After 1yr,2months in my new home,I installed a free standing vent free gas stove. The rest of the home is electric.We enjoy gathering in our greatroom near the new stove. But about two weeks after intallation of the new stove,I have a problem with moisture from outside being drawn in thru the vent duct.If this was in one of the full baths it may have been hard to determine where the moisture was coming from .But since this is a 1/2 bath that has no moisture inside I was certain it was from outside. I climbed in the attic and found no evidence of water out side of the vent duct. The duct runs at about a 45degree angle to the roof.There it ends at a small metal roof vent,the vent has no flapper at the opening only a sceen. I am sure the extra heat from the nearby newlly installed stove is drawing this moisture in from outside. Any sugestions on how to stop this ? Chip

Old 01-12-03, 01:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

If I'm following you, you have water dripping from a half-bath exhaust vent?
There is warm, moist air being exhausted, even in a half-bath.
Condensation is forming in the unheated attic space vent duct.
Wrap insulation around the vent duct in the attic, and it should solve your problem.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 01-12-03, 08:21 PM
L
The exhaust fan should have a "flapper" in it right where the duct is connected to it. That "flapper" should be in the closed position until the fan is turned on. If the "flapper" isn't there, or can't be made to function properly, replace the exhaust fan.

Old 01-13-03, 06:53 AM
gwchip
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies. the fan has a flapper on it, maybe the insulation on the duct would help. I think I will try to replace the dryer type vent duct with a hard pipe before I try to insulate the sagging flimsy stuff. Is thier a insulation made for this diam. of pipe? Thanks again , Chip

Old 01-13-03, 06:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

You can wrap that flex duct with batts of insulation loosely duct-taped in place. Just don't crush the insulation. Defeats the purpose.
Good luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: