caulking

Old 01-14-03, 04:15 PM
tub&tile
Visiting Guest
Angry caulking

We have 2 bathtub/showers in our house. 1 has tiles around it and the other has some kind of vinyl walls. The problem we are facing is that water keeps ruining/dissolving the caulking seal between the tub and the walls. We tried using Silicon-based caulking and Polyurethane-based caulking and neither one works. They all died from water damage. Could someone please make a suggestion that we could use to caulk the gap between the tub and walls that could withstand water and moisture!

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-14-03, 04:21 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Remove all of the old caulking. Clean the joint with rubbing alcohol. Dry it with a hair dryer or heat gun. Recaulk with 100% silicon.

Old 01-14-03, 04:26 PM
tub&tile
Visiting Guest
Lefty, thanks for the reply. We were told that silicon-based sealant are quick to dissolve?! And it did. Also, had been told to remove old caulking and clean with CLR--but i'll clean it again with rubbing alcohol. Do i need to wash the rubbing alcohol off? Or does it just evaporate?

Old 01-14-03, 04:27 PM
tub&tile
Visiting Guest
Lefty, thanks for the reply. We were told that silicon-based sealant are quick to dissolve?! And it did. Also, had been told to remove old caulking and clean with CLR--but i'll clean it again with rubbing alcohol. Do i need to wash the rubbing alcohol off? Or does it just evaporate?

Old 01-14-03, 05:18 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A "silicon-based" caulking will disolve. 100% silicon won't (at least mine hasn't in the 10 years it's been there!)

Let it evaporate -- you don't want to add water to the surface.

Old 01-14-03, 06:35 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Are you showering in MEK or 1,1,1, triclorethane? Those are about the only things that really disolve cured silicone sealants. Use silicone on a clean surface. Try not to put the sealant in tension. Clean up with rubbbing or denatured alcohol, fill the tub to the overflow with water, stand in the tub and caulk the joint. Let the water stay until the caulk cures. If the joists give under load you will have put a little extra caulk in the joint, so the next time the tub is filled, the joint does not get stretched.

Old 01-21-03, 07:49 PM
woodpecker
Visiting Guest
make sure all areas shed water into tub. with sagging floors and what not you got to make sure there is never standing water in caulked seams.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: