Finishing bathroom in basement

Old 01-23-03, 05:59 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Finishing bathroom in basement

I plan to finish the bathroom in my basement. It is already stubbed, and I was going to have a plumber do it until I was quoted $2400 including materials. That seems kind of steep to me, but then again, I'm kinda cheap.

I have very little experience with plumbing, and was hoping someone can recommend any good do it yourself plumbing books. Also, any opinions on that price quote? The materials I discussed with the plumber did not include any premium stuff. The job did not seem too involved (for him at least). He suggested moving my tub drain about 6 inches, which according to him would not involve much concrete work.

Thanks for your input,
Joe

Old 01-23-03, 06:41 AM
Joe,

I have done some plumbing and I usually charge $500 - 600 a hole, per fixture placement when it involves basements. This obviously changes based on what conditions I have to put up with but this is a good "ballpark" for you. The cost of fixtures would be on top of that and with what you got quoted it doesn't seem bad. Rule of thumb...get 3 bids!

http://www.mayfieldheights.org/build/abr_plumbing.htm

Home Depot has some good books available for plumbing that are by Black and Decker - these may help. As long as you have the tools and some experience at doing this, obtain your permit, you should be fine.

Good Luck!

Old 01-23-03, 07:02 AM
J
I have the permit for doing work on the basement, is that the only one necessary, or is there a special plumbing permit?

The plumber was a nice enough guy, no doubt. He came out, had a look, helped me out with wall placement. Spent a half hour with me even though I told him I wouldn't be able to start the job for two months.

I'll check into the books, thanks!

Joe

Old 01-23-03, 07:05 AM
Joe,

That would be the only permit required for plumbing, usually. I would imagine that you are doing your own electrical, etc. have you acquired permit for this as well?

Sounds like a very helpful plumber, nice to hear that!

Old 01-23-03, 07:10 AM
Joe,

Sorry Joe, I made a mistake, there is a seperate plumbing, electrical permits. The building permit would take care of your framing, insulation, drywall. The others are seperate...don't you just love the system?

Old 01-23-03, 07:17 AM
J
Permits, permits, permits.

Are the plumbing and electrical permits the usual? IE write us a check and we'll send someone out to stand in your basement and approve the permit?

Darn it, if I have to do that, I'm going to make the inspector work for their money this time answering questions.

Old 01-23-03, 07:26 AM
Joe,

Unfortunately they are, I have attached a link that may help
explain this. This is a good example.

http://www.co.fairfax.va.us/gov/dpwe.../basements.htm

Inspectors may not provide alot of answers as they inspect, don't make much more suggestions than that normally unless you have a very sociable one...these are rare!

Hope this helps, let me know how it's going!

Old 01-24-03, 06:14 AM
J
Just called my county building department. I told them I already had the building permit for the basement, and she told me that that covers framing, electrical, and plumbing. I think I just lucked out!

One thing I have a question about, and I think I will just need to call an inspector when they're in the office. I was not at home when the inspector checked out my basement.

First off, he shot down my plan as submitted for a bedroom in the basement due to egress (the double window isn't wide enough). No real problem there, I just changed the plan to show an "office" and resubmitted the plan, which was then accepted.

Before he did the initial inspection, I had roughed out a small walk in closet, and like a dummy, I didn't use PT on the bottom plates. He wrote a note on my inspection that said "All bottom plates should be PT lumber." I need to know if should means "must" or "it's a good idea". He might let it slide because the concrete floor has been sealed with drylok, and the closet is not in contact with an outside underground wall. Any opinion?

Thanks!
Joe

Old 01-24-03, 06:37 AM
Joe,

That's great about your building permit! Most places don't have it all in one but you're right in being lucky on this.

I'm sorry to say that what the Building Inspector is saying is not a suggestion or recommendation, you MUST use W/T stock as bottom plates or wherever wood is in contact with concrete/masonry regardless of any waterproofing type material. The Code is the code and that is a mandatory item. Others within the forum believe that this doesn't need to be done for various reasons, all which don't add up but wood rot or worse can cause damage. Sorry.

How is the plumbing issue going, get any other bids or are you going to do it yourself?

Hope this helps!

Old 01-24-03, 06:45 AM
J
That's what I figured. Guess my inspector needs to be a little more assertive in his writing.

On the bright side, it could be worse. It's only a small closet, so I guess the best thing to do would be get a hacksaw to cut the nails then kind of ease the old and new plates in and out with a hammer. Luckily I used concrete nails, not liquid nails.

I ordered a few plumbing books as you suggested, particularly the B and D book. I may get another bid or two, but a few friends have insisted that I could do this myself.

Incidentally, if anyone is interested, you can find a wealth of do it yourself books on half.com at very good prices. Some of them are a bit worn, but if you drag them down to your basement when you work (like I do), you'll wear out the cover anyway!

Old 02-04-03, 09:35 AM
J
I was investigating the use of Studor valves to get around the lack of a vent stack going all the way to the roof. Any opinions about these valves? How about residential code restrictions? Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: