bolting sink to wall

Old 01-27-03, 09:08 AM
heedicus
Visiting Guest
bolting sink to wall

hello,
I am installing pedastol (sp?) to in my bathroom. There were no included bolts for the wall, what do you sugguest for a bolt to mount it to the wall?
thanks,
tren
sorry for the dumb question i just dont want to screw up.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-03, 09:20 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Don't the installation instructions give you any advice? You might contact the store where you bought it for more product specific information.

Old 01-27-03, 05:43 PM
heedicus,

Instructions nor attaching bolts are not normally supplied with sinks as they are done by Professionals. Applications always vary.

Try this;

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/bath...221693,00.html

Hope this helps!

Old 01-27-03, 06:13 PM
Some applications uitilize brackets for the sink to rest upon which are secured to the wall .. Look under and in the packing material for a pair of brackets.....The use of brackets make a pedastal installation easier as you can rest the sink, connect the plumbing and then slide in the pedastal.....

Old 01-27-03, 06:52 PM
BoatCop
Visiting Guest
I had this very problem when I installed a pedestal sink in my new bath. I neglected to put a block in the wall behind the drywall to mount the sink to.

Luckily the wall where the sink was to be installed backed up to the laundry/utility room. I placed the sink where it was going to go and marked where the bolt holes were. I then punched a rod through the wall(s) to identify the area in the laundry room, and cut out a small panel.

I toe-nailed a 2x6 block between the studs from the laundry room side, and used lag bolts, flat wahser and rubber washer to mount the sink directly into the block. Then patched to hole in the laundry room.

You can accomplish the same thing by cutting into the bath wall, but I felt better tearing up the old drywall in the laundry-room, rather than the new stuff in the bath.

Old 01-27-03, 07:36 PM
heedicus,

I'm sorry, wrong link! Try this, it has everything that everyone is talking about.

http://www.familyhandyman.com/200006/pedsink/

Sometimes metal brackets are not part of the pedistal, depends on manufacturer, hopefully you have some but if not use lag bolts and lag washers.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-29-03, 07:06 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Some of the pedastalt sinks (usually older style) do not bolt to the wall. The pedastal bolts to the floor, the sink gets a bead of caulk to hold it in place on the pedastal. They do not usually move around much anyway. Many of the ceramic ones from Renovators Supply go in like this.

Old 01-29-03, 07:14 AM
heedicus
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all the help!
I have put in a 2x6 backer for it to bolt onto Boatcop=)
I ended up getting some lag bolts and washers. I am having some issues with the P trap so I bolted it to the wall, took it off and took out the pedastol then built a 2x4 stand so I could get to the plumbing and bolted it to the wall again...
ahhh the joys of home improvement=)
tren