sheetrock in bathroom next?

Old 01-31-03, 10:19 AM
chadt
Visiting Guest
sheetrock in bathroom next?

moving right along in the bathroom. I have now completely gutted my bathroom, completed the wiring of the new fan, with plug-ins and switches, taking up the flooring and redone all of the plumbing in the house. I also have removed the old tub and have bought a new fiberglass 2-piece shower. I will install the shower tonight.

My question is....what is next for me?

Is my next step hanging the sheetrock? I know not to put sheetrock in the bathroom, most people call it blue board correct? I have only found WP sheetrock, is that the same?

And if so, after i hang it, doe anyone know where i can find step by step directions on ways to tap, mud and sand?

Thanks,

Chad

Old 01-31-03, 01:38 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Chad,

Greenboard is the term usually used, W/R.

I have attached some links for you, i included ceramic tile stuff as well;

http://www.doityourself.com/wall/drywall.htm

http://www.gp.com/gypsum/tilebacker/applications.html

http://www.cgcinc.com/home.asp?nav=9&mkt=2&bc=9

http://www.super-tek.com/doityour.htm

By the way I am from Minnesota, where are you living?

Hope these all help!

Old 02-01-03, 08:01 AM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Chad, IF you removed the 'rock from the ceiling, install that 'rock first, and keep it's edges very close to the studs (no more than 1/4" away). Use standard (white) sheetrock for the ceiling. MR (or greenboard, or blueboard, or whatever name you give it) sheetrock does not have the tensile strength to be used on a large horizontal surface (like a ceiling). Over time, it would start to sag between the ceiling joists.

Old 02-03-03, 05:48 AM
chadt
Visiting Guest
Well, i haven't hung anything up yet, but i'll put up stanard sheetroch on the ceiling if you all think that that is the best bet. I had a setback, maybe a setback, but I had to remove the whole floor seeing it had too much water damage to just put something over. So I spent my weekend tearing that up. Not a bad job, but i was hoping to get started ont he rock. I'll start the rock sometime this week after i put in the new subfloor. All-in-all, everything is going fine with the project. I am betting that things will go quick after i put the tub in and begin the rocking.

what size rock should i pickup? 5/8"?

As for where in MN i live, I am in Racine, MN. Just south of Rochester where I work at the Mayo Clinic.

Old 02-03-03, 03:43 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Chad,

When I look at redoing a bathroom on a wood floor, I ASSUME the subfloor is going to need to be replaced. Once I get the finished floor off of it and can actually look at it, THEN I make the call as to whether it can stay or go. If it has to be replaced, my assumption was right. If it is OK, then I just got a pleasant surprise and I'm a few hours ahead of the game. No "setbacks" involved, and it's much easier to explain to a customer why the bill is being REDUCED by a couple hundred dollars than it is to try to explain a couple hundred dollar INCREASE.

As for the sheetrock, use 1/2" MR on the walls. For the ceiling, I prefer to use 5/8", but 1/2" will work just fine and is easier to handle. Just make sure you run it in the proper direction -- PERPENDICULAR to the ceiling joists, not parallel with them. Assuming that the joists are 24" O.C., you want to span more than 3 joists with the sheet.

Old 02-04-03, 05:29 AM
chadt
Visiting Guest
I should have clarified the "whole weekend" thing. It actually took me maybe an hour or two to tear up the floor. The rest of it was spent cleaning up the bits of plaster and pulling some rengade nails.

I mainly have been "on track" for most of the project. I've given myself time for each part of the project.

My time that i have to have this completed by is the 2nd of March.

As for the sheetrock, I'll get going on this this week sometime. T

One thing that I have found, is that there is not an exact corner to the bathroom walls seeing plaster was used, a corner was made with the mesh wiring. So all i had to do was install 2x4's and a 2x6 so i could attach the sheetrock. Of course ther ewas a change in plans by the wife on the medicine cabinet, so i had to rewire an outlet and make a frame for a "in-wall" cabinet. Took me maybe an hour.

Weather has played a role in getting supplies, and even taking the trash out. So hopefully it will clear up soon.

I'll be back with updates for sure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: