Handicap Shower Remodel

Old 02-02-03, 11:26 AM
ChattyLouise
Visiting Guest
Question Handicap Shower Remodel

We are replacing the vinyl floor with tile, and also want to take out the tub, and turn the shower into handicap accessible with a walker. I'd like to do this in tile or marble, we will have to remove a halfwall, shower pan, etc. and build a full wall.

We have about 75 sq' to work with (including the sinks/vanity). There is a high window over the tub, and our home is 10 yrs old.

How much space from the shower head to the opposing wall do we need in order to avoid a shower curtain/door? What is the best material for safety bars? Anything important I'm missing?

Do you know of any good websites with lots of pictures? This would make it easier to tell a contractor what we want.

I have read the posts from the last month and learned a bit about drywall, greenboard,...your info. is really helpful!

Old 02-03-03, 10:53 AM
Phil Allen
Visiting Guest
Handicapped shower

In your question I didn't understan if the window was what you wanted to protect from water or the floor. I have installed at least twenty such stalls. Cultured Marble is very expensive. The labor alone is very high. The window can be framed in with marble or tile. The grab bars should be stainless steel placed one verticle out or just inside shower for getting into shower. If you wanted a seated shower one should be placed diagonally by seat. All bars MUST be anchored to 2x4's If you need more help
and plan to do this your self go to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx I can help you from start to finish. Otherwise consult a pro. Though you can save money doing it yourself by half. I hope I've Helped.

Phil

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 02-03-03 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-03-03, 07:45 PM
ChattyLouise
Visiting Guest
ooops!

Old 02-03-03, 07:46 PM
ChattyLouise
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Phil, I'll look for your site. I'll forget the marble leaning toward tile anyway.

Wish I could draw a pic! There is 98" from the shower head to the opposing wall, with about 50-54" before we have to leave the opening for access. The window, 6' high and about 48" from the shower head should be OK, easy to tile around it.

We won't be doing it ourselves, but WANT IT DONE RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. (Hubby has progressive difficulty with balance and I have arthritis.)

I'd like to avoid the expense and maintenance of a special shower curtain, if possible.

Old 02-03-03, 08:19 PM
Phil Allen
Visiting Guest
re-shower

I would recomend a 48 inch double seat Samson or Sterling
Shower stall. They make a wheel chair model. I would place the shower close to the window wall to allow for turning wheel chair around.Most baths as you describe have the toilet close to the outside wall. All you would have to build is one wall. Relocating the plumbing shouldn't be that bad. especially if there's a basement underneath.I would also advise getting a Moen slide
bar shower head. This way you can use it from different heights.
Standing or sitting. Shower base should be set in thinset or some other cement. This keeps it from squeeking and getting cracks.if you need more answeres don't hesitate. Take care

Phil

Old 02-06-03, 10:14 PM
ChattyLouise
Visiting Guest
?

How much space from the shower head to the opposing wall do we need in order to avoid a shower curtain/door? Perhaps I should ask how much TILED space?

The window apparently can be tiled, and the toilet is in a separate "closet" on the other side of the bathroom, and the shower plumbing does not have to be moved. Whew!

If we are using all tile, why do we need a "stall?" We are trying to avoid the "lip" at the entrance to the shower. What would be the shower base other than thinset or cement? WHY would they use anything else?

Sorry to be so dense and slow. Thanks all for your patience, I live in rip-off land...

Old 02-07-03, 07:52 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old 02-07-03, 09:19 PM
ChattyLouise
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I have copied and pasted this quick before they disappear!

Seriously, I'm grateful to both of you for the replies. They have helped already!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: