Bathroom Remodel

Old 02-05-03, 03:04 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Remodel

I'm currently remodeling a bathroom - pulled out carpeting and laid a sheet vinyl floor, new shower, new toilet, new sink. The shower that I removed (corner neo-angle) was a Lasco brand one-piece, the style with the flange around the exterior that you nail to the wall studs, then the flange gets covered with drywall for the finishing. Very solid shower. The one that She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed picked out is the style that you glue the shower walls onto the finished wall. I'm still not sure I like this style of shower, it just seems flimsier. Questions I have are:

1. Does anyone have experience with this style? I'm concerned about the shower walls peeling off 5-7 years from now.

2. Do you have to install cement backerboard behind these types of shower walls, or can you glue them to drywall? If cement board is used, do you tape and mud the seams to the drywall the same?

Thanks for any and all info!

Jeff

Old 02-05-03, 01:54 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Jeff,

I have installed different paneled systems for showers and bathtubs. Depending on what you get, there are those made of plastic, extremely flimsy, acrylics, PVC and others made of fiberglass. Of course, the better products available would be the manmade stones but limited as to built-ins. Naturally, a wall panel system of fiberglass is made much better than plastic and extremely durable, easy to care for.

Here is a link for E.L.Mustee, just one manufacturer;

http://www.elmustee.com/pdfsidoc/2bathtub/SI_136.PDF

Another good manufacturer is ASB. Compare products and warranties.

You do not need to install a cement backer to your walls now but when adhesively applying a wall system to your drywall, ensure that all surfaces are clean. You may want to use denatured alcohol, mineral spirits to ensure a good adhesion base.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: