Tub Surround - something tall

Old 02-13-03, 06:32 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tub Surround - something tall

I am remodeling, and need some help here. I have a tub in a small bathroom that needs a surround. I cannot seem to find anything at the home improvement stores to meet my needs. I would like to find some type of surround that is about 72" in height, and does not have all of those built in shelves. If I could just find some 4x8 (or larger) sheets of something waterproof, it would be perfect. Any suggestions?

Old 02-13-03, 06:45 AM
back_the_pack,

Home Depot has Structoglas, comes in White or Almond, one side textured. Melamine is also available, textured or tiled looking finishes and with these products, they do have trim that is used for seams and edges. Available in 4x8 sheets.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-13-03, 07:01 AM
B
Thanks for the reply! One question though. Do these seams really seal up tight? That is one big concern I have about going this route. I would like to keep costs down however.

Old 02-13-03, 07:12 AM
back_the_pack,

That's the question of the day! Unfortunately, I have no faith in the seams, others may. Since you are requesting something in 72" height, the Structoglas is a great product as it doesn't get destroyed at all! Melamine, the newer imporved one verus ones used in years past is a good product. The issue on seams is that you should apply these with a coat of silicone under the seams to ensure a good watertight seal. The need for a good cement backer board is suggested.

Maybe, you should consider a shower stall wall kit, which I have included some links, but again you decide on the need or no need for shelving. These are great and seal great, nice in appearance!

http://www.ambath.com/home.htm

http://www.mustee.com/index.html

Hope this helps!

Old 02-13-03, 08:27 AM
B
Thanks, again! Those links were great. Do you have any idea about the general price range for some of those shower stall wall kits? I don't need anything fancy, just functional. Thanks for all of your help!

Old 02-13-03, 08:45 AM
back_the_pack,

You're very welcome!

I really don't have current pricing on the shower wall kits, since you have the links, just make some calls. My guess would be $175 on up. The better ones could be $300.00. You also may want to call the local plumbing store as they can provide great prices and get what you may want.

Am I right in assuming that you are trying to cover the entire wall to ceiling of the tub area? Any special reason you can't go with the traditional tub wall systems?

Hope the suggestions help out!

Old 02-13-03, 09:26 AM
B
QUOTE: "Am I right in assuming that you are trying to cover the entire wall to ceiling of the tub area? Any special reason you can't go with the traditional tub wall systems?" ENDQUOTE

Well, what I have is a small bathroom that has a vaulted (cathedral) ceiling. Therefore, I have the triangular shape on the top portion of my walls (above 8'). The ceiling and upper (triangle) walls are covered in t&g paneling. I would like for the tub surround to go all the way to the 8' point so that I don't have to put paneling anywhere below that 8' mark. I don't want the paneling to have the chance to get wet. The distance from the top of the tub to the top of the wall is about 6', but all of the stuff I have seen at Lowes is about 5' or so. With that stuff, I still have a space between the paneling and the tub surround. I would just tile the whole thing, but I am trying to keep costs down.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: