Old shower faucet valve


Old 02-14-03, 01:35 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 77
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Old shower faucet valve


Iím trying to repair a leaking hot water shower faucet in my 1946 built home. The leak occurs when the water is turned on, a small stream of water sprays directly out from the valve stem. Iím guessing that the valve stem will need to be replaced.

My problem is that I canít seem to remove the stem. Iíve attached a picture which shows the valve. As you can see, Iíve unscrewed a brass nut that I assumed would then allow me to completely back out the valve stem. However, the valve stem backs out to a point, then seems to tighten up again. Iím a little reluctant to try to force it to continue to back out, I donít want to damage anything anymore than necessary. How should this come off?

Also, any idea as to what manufacturer made these valves? I canít seem to find any stamp or wording on any of the pieces. Let me know if you need more explanation or pictures.



After posting this message, I'm not seeing my attachment anywhere. Can anyone else see the attachment? Please respond.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-03, 02:24 PM
Mike Swearingen's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northeastern NC On The Albemarle Sound
Posts: 10,952
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Can't see attachments here. You can email it to me, or to one of the pro plumbers (I'm not one) in the Plumbing forum.
Depending upon the type of old valve, it sounds like you probably have to replace an o-ring on the valve or repack the stem with graphite or teflon packing string.
Good Luck!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: