Old shower faucet valve

Old 02-14-03, 01:35 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Old shower faucet valve

Hi,

I’m trying to repair a leaking hot water shower faucet in my 1946 built home. The leak occurs when the water is turned on, a small stream of water sprays directly out from the valve stem. I’m guessing that the valve stem will need to be replaced.

My problem is that I can’t seem to remove the stem. I’ve attached a picture which shows the valve. As you can see, I’ve unscrewed a brass nut that I assumed would then allow me to completely back out the valve stem. However, the valve stem backs out to a point, then seems to tighten up again. I’m a little reluctant to try to force it to continue to back out, I don’t want to damage anything anymore than necessary. How should this come off?

Also, any idea as to what manufacturer made these valves? I can’t seem to find any stamp or wording on any of the pieces. Let me know if you need more explanation or pictures.

Thanks,

David

After posting this message, I'm not seeing my attachment anywhere. Can anyone else see the attachment? Please respond.

Old 02-14-03, 02:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Dave,
Can't see attachments here. You can email it to me, or to one of the pro plumbers (I'm not one) in the Plumbing forum.
Depending upon the type of old valve, it sounds like you probably have to replace an o-ring on the valve or repack the stem with graphite or teflon packing string.
Good Luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: