replace shower with shower over jacuzz

Old 02-19-03, 12:13 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy replace shower with shower over jacuzz

Hi,

I asked a question to replace a 36"x36" shower pan on this forum weeks ago. After been told that I have to replace the surrounding wall (3 sides) too, I decide to extend this project: put a whirlpool with a shower over it.

As I said, the shower is 36"x36" with three tile walls surrounding. Since the limitation of the space, I have to move one wall into near by closet to let this 36X36 area extend to 60"x36" so that a 5'x3' whirlpool could fit in. And also, I still want a shower over this whirlpool.

1) Is it practical - shower over a whirlpool?

2) I have to select right side drain for the new whirlpool. How could I make the centered drain in 36"x36" shower to fit this right side drain of whirlpool?

Thank you very much for any advice,

Old 02-19-03, 01:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
hobbyjohn,

With your first question, this is an item for debate. First thing is what kind of look are you after when everything is said and done?

Having a shower located within a whirlpool area is not a bad idea as long as the planning of the installation is done correctly. We first have to address the issue of what style of whirlpool you may be thinking about.

If it is one that has a front apron, then the application would be ok IF we are going from wall to wall as a traditional tub installation would be. Then shower doors or curtain can be installed.

If we are talking about a drop-in type - unit sits on top of a platform which requires support framing and the top edges are finished in ceramic tile this will require the old style shower curtain support ring. Reason being the shower water would be collecting around the top edge of the whirlpool.

I have attached a link to Jacuzzi, just as an example to those with skirts (front aprons) and those without. Each has it's own application. The decisions will have to be made by you as to what is "practical" versus what you "want".

http://products.jacuzzi.com/nd/WpbPr...ED=&SEARCHREQ=

The issue on the drain is simple but it will require some plumbing alterations to accommodate. This would only be one part of the plumbing since you will have to decide on how you want the plumbing to be set up for the whirlpool and showerhead.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-20-03, 01:43 PM
masterjoe
Visiting Guest
Talking Can be done

1) It is very practical....indeed, that's exactly what I did to my master bath 2 years ago. I took out the shower stall and installed a 5'x3' whirlpool tub. We(especially my wife) enjoys it almost daily. It's definitely worth the investment.

2) Moving a 3" shower drain over to make a 2 1/2" tub drain is not that difficult, if you have a crawl space underneath your house. If you're on infamous slab foundation(like my house in CA), it becomes a bit dirty. Post back to let us know which situation you fall under, and we'll help you more.

One more major plumbing job that you've gotta do is to alter the current shower to accomodate a tub. You'll need to swap the 3-way diverter valve to 4-way for the added spout. You'll need to extend the piping to shower in order to lower the knobs so that you can reach them sitting in the tub; few other details.

Reply back if you're serious about this project; we'll help you more.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: