tub surround installation...adhesive question..

Old 02-19-03, 02:56 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
tub surround installation...adhesive question..

DIY'ers,

I'm getting ready to install a one piece tub surround. I have the greenboard up and am in the process of mud/taping(which is one thing i'm not that good at). Do I have to paint behind the tub surround, or can I just glue the tub surround right to the greenboard? Common sense tells me I need to at least prime the green board. The only reason I ask is that we only have one bath and the shower has been out of commission for a week and 3 days. The SO is NOT happy. We've been using our friends bath but its becoming a pain in the rear. I just want to get the surround in as soon as possible. I won't cut corners so if I need to prime/paint first I will. Also, I have the liquid nails tub surround adhesive. Any advice on using this stuff? The liquid nails directions say to adhere the surround to the wall, then pull away for 3-5 min, then re-adhere while pressing firmly in place, wait 30 min then firmly apply pressure one last time over entire surround. The surround instructions state to adhere the back ONLY first(using 2x4's leaning against it to hold it in place), then the sides the following day. Does it matter what I do? I've used liquid nails before but only on paneling. Thanks for any advice....

Ron

Old 02-19-03, 07:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ron,

I wouldn't paint but it shouldn't matter, shower surrounds are installed everyday both ways.

Otherwise you should follow the manufacturers recommendations on the installation.

Old 02-19-03, 07:23 PM
S
The tub surround I am talking about is a one piece that rests on the ledge of the existing tub. It's NOT the one piece tub/shower fiberglass type unit..........just wanted to clear that up as it may have come across as the tub/shower unit per my original post. Reason I thought I should prime first is just in case any water made it thru my caulk job Thanks,

Ron

Old 02-20-03, 11:22 AM
drober23
Visiting Guest
If water makes it through your caulk job, paint won't save you long. If that is your concern, glue right to the greenboard.

That said; I primed my walls before I put my tub surround up. Made me feel better for some odd reason.

Duane Roberts

Old 02-20-03, 11:40 AM
chadt
Visiting Guest
STUB,

Very good question. I am also in the process of mudding (first time) and will be putting up a 5 piece tub surround. I bought liquid nails, but i am wondering if i need to get something else. the only reason is I bought the caulk gun type of the liquid nails. I didnt see any other type. My surround asks me to use the same type of trowel as i would for tile and in the same pattern. So i am wondering also if I need to get something different.

Hopefully I will find something in the archives and i'll post again unless someone else answers before then.

Old 02-20-03, 12:29 PM
S
ya know, the instructions with my surround say also to use a trowel. As I stated I am using the liquid nails. The instructions also say that the liquid nails I have is an acceptable adhesive. I think it will be possible to trowel the LN after its applied......I may know as soon as tonight.....I will post if I get that far...

Ron

Old 02-20-03, 12:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Liquid Nails is also available in one gallon cans.

If you use the tube type you won't need to trowell it, that kind of coverage isn't necessary.

Bead-it, press-it, peel-it, stick-it.

Old 02-21-03, 05:00 AM
drober23
Visiting Guest
Liquid Nails makes a caulk-gun dispensed product for tub surrounds. That is what I used. I put it on with the caulk gun, then spread it out with a notched trowel. Worked great.

Duane Roberts

Old 02-23-03, 05:41 PM
S
I took Bud's advice and beaded it, pressed it, peeled it and stuck it...........worked GREAT! There was no need to use 2x4's to keep pressure on the surround, once stuck the liquid nails held tight..Thanks all for your advice......it went great...

Ron

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: