5 ft. Jacuzzi Tub - worth it?

Old 02-25-03, 09:09 AM
cammie
Visiting Guest
5 ft. Jacuzzi Tub - worth it?

We will probably need to redo our bathroom in the next year or so. It's our only one with tub/shower and a bit on the small side.

I would LOVE a jacuzzi tub but could only fit in the standard 5-foot bathtub size due to the size of the room.

Do you think its worth the extra cost for such a small jacuzzi? Do you think it would be a selling feature in the future or not make much of a difference in resale?

Old 02-25-03, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cammie,

A jacuzzi is considered an amenity. Its value to you will be more important to you than a potential buyer. Unfortunately, in my opinion, just a 5 ft space means for a small jacuzzi which would not be worth it. The actual space for you to thoroughly enjoy it is extremely limited. In fact, the actual usuable space for your body would be less than your current tub, both in width and length. The other issue is are you still wanting the shower? Deleting a shower may not be to a potential buyers liking. If it was a larger unit, you and a potential buyer would appreciate it. I don't think this will make much of a difference if any as to the selling of the home, at least not a 5 ft tub.

For the money, I wouldn't do it. Other considerations will be the ability to shower. Yes, you could install tub/shower doors or curtain but this depends on the style of tub you want. If it has a front skirt to gain access to the motor then this would be fine and you could utilize the existing tub/shower faucet assembly but may have to install a longer tub spout to do so.

If you have been looking at magazines or have friends/relatives with a whirlpool, and you like the drop in whirlpool, that means that you will have recessed edge which means only a shower curtain could be used with the old style round bar above tub to hang curtain.

Think about your options carefully before buying. Just having one because you want it is different than being able to enjoy it. You must consider overall costs, electrical and plumbing requirements, accessibility to motor, wall and floor finishes. If you invest in this existing bathroom, make sure that you are going to do it for the right reasons and make it enjoyable. It's a large investment.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-27-03, 02:48 PM
sugarbeth
Visiting Guest
We thought about a 5ft. whirlpool/shower combo for a while too, and eventually decided against it. Since it would be used daily for showering primarily, and I didn't like the idea of having to clean those jet holes all the time.

We ended up with a wider, deeper tub that still fits in the 5 ft. alcove. So it will be great for soaking without the cleaning hassle. Whatever tub you get, remember to consider that it would need a mostly flat bottom for showering.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: