Shower Surround

Old 03-09-03, 12:16 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shower Surround

I'm getting ready to install a new shower surround for a corner shower. It's a 2-piece type, the pan gets fastened to the studs (not the finished wall), then the walls get glued to the finished wall.

My question is, when the wall portion gets glued onto the wall, there will be a gap at the bottom between the wall portion and the pan flange (since the flange is below the level of the drywall).

Should I caulk with silicone between at the pan and shower wall seam? The instructions do not call out this area to be caulked, but it seems to me that vapor will work its way in between there, and get into the wallboard.

Thanks for the help!
Jeff

Old 03-09-03, 03:35 PM
NotMrWizard,

A little silicone shouldn't hurt anything but I would think your instructions would be better than this. What brand did you get that wouldn't detail this more? I would think that the wall panels would sit on top of the shower base, not be off the shower base so you would have easy installation of shower door, if desired.

Caulk away!

Old 03-09-03, 05:16 PM
N
I should have been a bit more descriptive. The brand is MAAX (never heard of it!), and the panel (1-piece) does sit on the base. Since the base flange is fastened to the studs, and the panel is glued on the wall, there is about a 1/4" space between the back of the panel and the flange. I didn't know if the seam at the base and panel would allow moisture from hot showers work its way in between there.

The instructions are fairly good on where to caulk, they just don't specify that bottom seam. But like you said, I can't see the harm in doing it.

Thanks!
Jeff

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: