Basement bathroom shower stall

Old 03-10-03, 08:44 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement bathroom shower stall

I am in the process of putting in a new bathroom in the basement. I am putting a shower stall in the corner, one of the neo-angle ones I think they call it.

My plan is to use concrete backer board behind the shower stall and greenboard everywhere else, including the ceiling (I am planning on tiling between the top of the shower stall walls and the ceiling). I have a tendency to "overbuild" things and was wondering if this plan was advisable, or too much overkill in the moisture resistance department.

Thanks for any thoughts and comments.

Old 03-10-03, 08:07 PM
PenguinDave,

Depending on what you are installing will determine the need for any greenboard or cement backer board behind the shower walls.

The better brands require installation of the walls/base to be applied into a framed in rough opening. All attached to the studs. At that point, your wall covering would then be applied hinding the nail flanges.

If you are selecting a panel wall kit with base, application over cement Backer board or greenboard is acceptable. Tile can be applied over each but in the location you mentioned, greenboard would be acceptable by industry standards with no worry of problems. Cement backer board would be overkill and unnecessary. With a basement bath, exhaust fans of appropriate size are usually required which reduces issues of moisture/condensation problems.

Just a note: Properly support the base by use of a mortar mix or joint compound. I have attached a link to one product - read the installation instructions as the base is critical in preventing any movment that would cause drain seal leaks and flexing that could possibly crack the base over time.

http://www.lascobathware.com/installation/3900.pdf

Hope this helps.

Old 03-11-03, 07:49 AM
P
Doug,

Thanks for the feedback. The unit I am planning on using is neo-angle panel wall kit with base. I had not considered the need for support under the base as I had not considered flexing - thanks for the heads up.

TD

Old 03-11-03, 07:52 AM
PenguinDave,

You're very welcome and good luck with your project. It should look great and last for years!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: