exhaust fan for bathroom

Old 03-13-03, 05:58 PM
thinkngoodthing
Visiting Guest
exhaust fan for bathroom

remodel of 5x6 full bath with a window, will I need to put an exhaust fan in.Backerboard for the tiled tub area, greenboard
everywhere else including ceiling. Dormer Bathroom.

Old 03-13-03, 06:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thinkngoodthing,

It is not required when you have a window but lets face it, if you aren't opening the window window the hot showers are being taken, problems will occur, greenboard or not. It would be adviseable to install one to ensure that excess moisture is being relieved to avoid problems.

Your choice

Old 03-13-03, 06:24 PM
thinkngoodthing
Visiting Guest
thanks

Can that be connected to the vent pipe

Old 03-13-03, 06:31 PM
thinkngoodthing
Visiting Guest
Doug

Dormer bath coming off back roof line of cape cod. the finished ceiling is 6'10'' but I could raise the ceiling to the rafters of the dormer which would add some height in the small room, feasable?
Also no insulation what so ever but vapor barrier in roof joists.
Thinking of putting in insulation plastic vapor then the greenboard, how does that sound?

Old 03-13-03, 06:45 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thinkngoodthing,

Just answered your e-mail but this is a good question. You cannot tie into a vent pipe with your exhaust fan. Should these nasty gases come back into the home via the fan duct, it will be hazardous to your health and I think not even allowed by Code.

The other question you asked as long as I am here is you really need the ciling to be 7'-0" to be included in your total overall square footage of the home. Below this, the room is exempt from the total. If you could do like you said, raise it and accomplish this height, it is to your benefit.

Vapor barrier on the ceiling is fine but use standard drywall for your ceiling if it is 16" O. C. or more. Greenboard is heavy and cannot withtand the span.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: