cpvc vs pvc

Old 03-31-03, 07:07 PM
tpalestat
Visiting Guest
Angry cpvc vs pvc

back again. i'm at a loss. i know to use cpvc for the hot water line. can i use regular pvc for the cold line (live in tampa FL, not alot of cold weather) or shld i stick with cpvc for both lines. to help with the water pressure, shld i use 3/4 pipe and reduce to 1/2 at the connections or shld i use 1/2 all the way.

Old 03-31-03, 07:57 PM
YankeeCraftmn
Visiting Guest
I would suggest that you use cvpc all the way through, Yes, you can use pvc if you want to for cold supply, however you need to buy 2 different styles of everything. Becomes a pain for material list. I would run a 3/4" trunk line hitting all you fixtures as you go by them, this gives you volume not pressure. Some may disagree, but I always perfer 3/4" over 1/2" feeds, however your lav/kit. sink faucets are only 3/8" feeds from the shut offs, and your shower is 1/2". Have you concidered running pex pipe? Its very easy to install. Becoming very popular now.

Old 04-02-03, 05:45 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
We used cpvc for hot and pvc for cold and YankeeCraftmn is right about the parts list nightmare! Seems like I was always running to the big box store for one or two items that we thought we had enough of but it turned out that it wasn't the type we needed. We also ran 3/4" trunk with 1/2" feeds so drilling holes was a one time work element. I wanted to use pex, but at the time, I was told that only certified contractors could purchase the pex due to the installation course they had to go through to install it. Hopefully that has changed and pex is available to the average consumer since it does seem like a great system.
I was always getting grief from people about using cpvc and pvc instead of copper. Everyone said it was just as easy and better, yada yada, until I told them that our well water would eventually corrode the copper and plumbing is one thing I want to do only once!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: