bath exhaust to soffit vents ??

Old 04-15-03, 04:06 PM
thuper
Visiting Guest
bath exhaust to soffit vents ??

Hi everybody.

First I would like to say ...wow...what a great forum you all have here. It's quite informative and I've been reading for hours now.

I do have somewhat of a problem however. I am in the midst of installing a Bathroom exhaust fan on the upper level of my home.
I don't really want to install a roof vent, and there is no way to
hide a wall vent either. I have looked up in the attic and see some black PVC pipe that appears to be going out to the soffit vents. This pipe is layed right on the floor of the attic area, and seems to join a few together.

My question is this....Can I simply cut into a run of the black PVC pipe, and fit in a "Y" connector and attach the 3" or 4" pipe to that "Y" so it can exhaust out to one of the soffit vents.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old 04-15-03, 04:14 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thuper,

Welcome as a new member! You'll get the best advice from everyone here and expect that you can give advice when you see a need to help others!

My assumption is those are waste vents but not in the right location! They should be through the roof.

I would suggest highly that you place your exhaust fan venting on it's own vent and NOT tie into the waste vents unless you don't mind the smell that could back up into the home! and NO the damper in the bath exhaust fan will not stop the odor.

Ensure that you are far enough away from the black pipe.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-15-03, 04:18 PM
thuper,

Here is another link for you....

http://www.llbuildingproducts.com/ll...hfanpict0.html

Good Luck!

Old 04-15-03, 04:28 PM
thuper
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the quick replies Doug.
I guess my only option is to install a soffit vent directly from the exhaust fan. I just hope that I'll have enough room in the attic to work around, because my roof is a 4 sided hip style roof, and it looks like there's not too much room up there to work with.

Any other pointers that I may need when doing it this way??
Thanks for all your help thus far Doug.

Old 04-15-03, 04:44 PM
thuper,

If it were me, I would install a roof vent which if done properly is leak proof and it is the easiest installation. When you lack the room your options are limited.

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: