Fan ventilation into unaccesable attic

Old 04-23-03, 05:54 AM
jdaresta
Visiting Guest
Fan ventilation into unaccesable attic

I have a situation that on the second floor of my older home (built in 1968) I have a full bath (not very big). There is a ventilation fan and I know there is the flexible tubing attached to it. Now what I don't know is where that tubing goes. On the side of my house is a duct that the master bath and the hall bath appear to have their duct work go to. Since this on the second floor I doubt that it runs to the same duct as the other two do. It could though, but I am not sure. My guess though is that it runs somewhere to the roof. Now I used to have on a very low slooping almost flat second floor roof about 3 square vents. There are two plumbing vents that are still there, but I had about 3 years ago a metal roof installed. The roofer removed the 3 vents, put insulation board over the holes and put the metal roof on top of the old existing tar and asphalt. Now the vent when on does draw the air in and pushes it through the tube. The question again is where does it go. If it went to one of those vents before, then my guess would be that it no longer goes anywhere, but the attic which is not that high. There is no access to this attic.

So the question I have is this. Currently that shower up there is used perhaps maybe 4-5 times year when guests staying in the upstairs room. Eventually we want to move my son up there and at that time he would use the shower. He would likely use like most people do taking a shower a day. My concern is the fan pumping any kind of evaporation into the vent. If the vent goes to the attic I know that could be bad. Obviously this is not an issue if joins in with the other bath ventilation, but I doubt it does. So say on average a shower a day was taken, would the moisture the fan may draw up cause damage? Or though its still not good, would I probably be okay. I would hate to think I would need to have some serious roofing done to find and verify this vent. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Old 04-23-03, 01:57 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Jimmy,

No excuses should be given as to why not to do something right..always vent exhaust fans to the exterior! Damage can be incurred...to what extent...who knows?! Check these links out for some advice;

http://www.llbuildingproducts.com/ll...hfanpict0.html

http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_el...ns/default.asp

Do it right and forget it...do it wrong...it will haunt you not knowing what is happening until it is too late.

Good Luck!

Old 04-23-03, 05:11 PM
jdaresta
Visiting Guest
I understand and I do agree about doing it right. However, I have to weigh the cost of doing now as opposed to later. Since there is very little usage and it will be a few years before my son moves upstairs I am not too worried. The issue whether its a good excuse or not is that to determine this I would have to rip off metal roofing, pull up the layer of old roofing, pull up decking find the vent, reroute it to perhaps the gable vents because you cannot cur through the metal roofing or you have a link, and then put everything back. This does not take into account that I have to find the duct which means not just one section of the roof. So to some degree its an excuse that carries some weight to it. I mean the issue would be how much moisture would actually get there and if so would the amount that would get there would it cause damage or is it so insignificant that its not something I should lose sleep over and when I get the roof replaced in about 5 years or so perhaps I can then look at it then.

If you have any way I can reroute this or determine what is happening to it without all that I mention above then please let me know. Thanks.

Old 04-23-03, 05:20 PM
Jimmy,

Sorry...I wasn't placing too much emphasis on the metal roofiing.

OK, how about this idea...what about going through the soffit?

I do realize that this is a 2 story but with what I sent you, did this give any ideas to possible soffit installation? What do we have now for a soffit? I assume the bathroom is on an exterior wall..right?

Any chance of doing this? Access will be tough but there are ways to cheat. This may have to be done by a professional unless you have the tall ladder to get up there.

Any thoughts on this...

Old 04-23-03, 07:54 PM
jdaresta
Visiting Guest
I think I have sort of a solution. I was able to actually disconnect the fan from the studs and move it aside. The space was big enough for me to poke my head through. From the celing to the decking on the roof I have about a foot. From the opening to the right side is quite a bit of difference and some of the air conditioning ventilation would need to be avoided. On the left side it was harder to see, but it is a shorter distance. Probably some of the air conditioning ventilation may cause a slight problem, but I think I run some how some aluminum or some stiffer vent to the gable vent. Though not ideal this would direct to the outside. Someday then when I redo the second floor roof (remove the metal roof and put a rubber or some other kind to add more ventilation) I can put a new vent and out put.

Thanks for the suggestions though. Do you see with the gable method any major issues or though not perfect would it be adequate until I do something else? Thanks.

Old 04-23-03, 08:05 PM
Jimmy,

It doesn't sound bad but I hope it is close to the exhaust fan itself or else the moisture will be condensating within the pipe and leaking out onto your insulation and finish ceiling. Try it but don't forget about it when you do the roof.

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: