laminate in bathroom?

Old 04-24-03, 09:15 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
laminate in bathroom?

I live in an apartment in NYC and the walls are sheetrock as is the ceiling. The walls are covered in wallpaper which is really stuck on. I would like to put a laminate, something like formica on both the ceiling and walls. Is this feasable and could someone recommend a laminate manufacturer. Thanks

Old 04-24-03, 10:12 AM
easywind,

Wallpaper an easily be removed by chemical application or a steamer. Why use a laminate for the walls and ceiling?

Laminates are available at Home Depot but this is not advisable due to the seams that will be exposed. In addition, ceiling applications can be a problem later when it starts to sag. If no mechanical fan is in bathroom, issues of mildew and mold could be another issue to contend with. Painting the ceiling is recommended. Melamine or a Aqualite is the better choice for walls, outside of painting with a good paint once the wallpaper is removed.

The tileboards as mentioned above are available for exposure to moisture that come with associated edge trim. Consider your options carefully or all this work will be for nothing.

Good luck!

Old 04-29-03, 08:09 AM
E
Doug thanks for the extensive reply. As I said in my post the wallpaper is stuck on with a commercial glue and since I'm a renter it just isn't worth my time or effort to remove it properly. What I have is wall and ceiling studs. I'd like to drill small holes where the studs are and glue and tack the laminate down. I'm looking for a clean look that will stay clean for a number of years. There is no fan in the bathroom but there is a window and we live here only 6 months a year, no winters. Does this sound like it will hold up for a while. Thanks again

Old 04-29-03, 09:26 PM
easywind,

You're welcome. I guess if you are only there 6 months a year *I would paint the ceiling and apply a Tileboard or Aqualite to the walls with the edging that I mentioned. This will take time and getting it on walss around fixtures will be another issue to contend with.

I do think that from a money standpoint for product and time to remove and reinstall fixtures, renting a steamer and use of a wallpaper removal product and paint would be cheaper and in essence much easier.

Good Luck!

Old 04-30-03, 04:20 AM
B
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
easywind:

You mentioned you are a renter. You may want to check with the landlord before you make any alterations. The lease I use for my duplexes prohibits any alerations by the tenant without my approval.

Once had a tenant paint a bedroom black; took 3 coats to cover when he moved out and I charged him for two.

Just a thought.

Bruce

Old 04-30-03, 09:05 AM
E
Doug, once again thanks for the reply, I'm going to rent a steamer next week and I'll give it a try. The bottom of the bathroom is tieled and only the top needs to be done with only an electricial fixture in the way, no problem to disconnect. The wallpaper glue I used was from Laguardia airport when it was being rebuilt and was used to hang a HEAVY vinyl wallpaper. I have hot water till you could pass out and the paper hasn't budged in years. Bruce, I've been here 30 years and plan to stay here another 30 if I live that long. Maybe in the great white north people move every 6 months but in NYC noone moves. I consider the apartment my own. But thanks anyway.l

Old 04-30-03, 10:11 AM
B
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
WOW! Around here, if a tenant stays more than 4 or 5 years, it's considered long term. I think we Minnesotans have to keep moving so we don't freeze to the ground

Bruce

Old 05-02-03, 12:30 PM
E
I've finally gotten the wallpaper off and scrubbed the glue off also. I had a leak from the apartment above me years ago and the wall was patched using plaster. Most of the plaster came off with the paper and I will be once again patching it so I have 2 more questions. Should I use plaster to patch and should I prime or seal the sheetrock before painting? Thanks again

Old 05-02-03, 04:22 PM
easywind,

I would go ahead and get Joint Compound, Plus 3 (premixed) and use this to apply skim coats over what needs to be done and lightly sand.

Then apply prime and paint or depending on the paint, just 2 coats of GOOD paint.

If you had any staining on the ceiling, then use a Stain Killer like Kilz or similar so this doesn't bleed through the paint. Trust me..stains will bleed through!

I hope it is going as good as I suggested. You have been busy!

Thanks for keeping us informed!

Old 05-04-03, 08:18 AM
E
Doug, thanks again for the quick reply, my arms have been so tired I haven't been able to type. About now I wish I had gone ahead and used laminate, but aside from that the walls have been a mess as I have about 6 coats of old paint that have been peeling. Every time I said more peeling comes off. I'm now wondering if I should prime the walls before I sand again to try and get everything even. Your opinion on this would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-04-03, 08:35 AM
easywind,

No problem in answering as soon as I could and you're very welcome.

It might be a good idea to try and use a paint scraper and remove as much flaking as possible, then skim coat, lightly sand then prime and paint. This might go faster and the end result should look good!

It is true that if you can get the walls as even and flat as possible, it will look great. If need be, get a large flat trowel to make this easier.

Keep me informed.

Old 05-10-03, 07:20 PM
E
Doug, Ive got it mostly done, 3 coats of paint and it's looking good. One last question, I used a semi gloss white paint for the base coats and I could leave it however I'd like to put at least one more coat of a sky blueish color and was wondering should I us semi or full gloss paint. 42 hours and 87$ later. Thanks again, you were totally right. I love these boards.

Old 05-10-03, 07:42 PM
easywind,

I'm glad things are working great for you and obviously well below your initial projected budget!

I would stick with semi-gloss as it is more suited for the bath, especially with the final color you have chosen. High gloss would be to reflective.

Keep us informed...hope the time was well spent and your arms still aren't killing you!

Thanks again!

Old 05-11-03, 11:02 PM
E
Doug, thanks again for all, the project is finally finished today and the bathroom looks absolutely great. I can't thank you enough for your help and insight. Budget was never a real concern for me, if I spent a few hundred dollars either way it made not much of a difference. I just wanted to get it looking good. I was never much of a plasterer but working with joint compound 3 I didn't get frustrated as I normally do with plaster. Going to take a few days off now and rest.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: