Installation of Wonderboard on Bath

Old 04-24-03, 04:57 PM
Dan_Leudesdorff
Visiting Guest
Question Installation of Wonderboard on Bath

When using Wonderboard around bath walls;
1. How do you cut it?
2. Does the board go inside the tub lip or just to the top of the lip?
3. Should a vapor barrier be created behind the Wonderboard?

Thank-you,

Old 04-25-03, 08:26 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wonder board is best cit with a carbide tip scoring tool, score it well and snap it like drywall. Cut circles and shapes with a sharp tipped drywall saw. Drill holes along the shap and connect the dots with the drywall saw.

Usually the wonderboard will hit the tub's top flange if new construction, then the tile extends down to the tub, use a spacer soi that you haave a uniform grout line along tub but fill it with silicone DAP or other flexible caulk...this is a good idea along the vertical corners as well as grout is brittle and will crack where walls meet because of natural movement

The vapor barrier is a good idea

Old 04-28-03, 12:39 PM
bchilds
Visiting Guest
marygee1,
What kind of spacer are you talking about between the bottom of the wonderboard and the tub? I am having the same problem with the backer board that I placed on my tub walls, it only sits on the lip of the tub and there is 3/4 of an inch of tub flange below it.

Old 04-28-03, 01:11 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
bchilds,

Many tiles require the use of plastic "x" type spacers that go between each tile to create uniform grout lines. In your case go ahead and let the bottom tile extend below the wonderboard and let it sit on one of these spavcers so that it doesn't touch the tub. After the thinset is hardened pull the spacers out

Old 04-28-03, 07:28 PM
bchilds
Visiting Guest
Thanks marygee1, what you're saying makes perfect sense now.
I appreciate the help.

Old 05-06-03, 05:56 AM
SteveSD
Visiting Guest
My question is related to this post. I, too, have set the wonderboard so that it sits right above the flange.
1. When placing the tile over the flange, will the thinset adhere to the tub?
2. Is there any preparation that needs to be done to the part of the flange that that the tile will sit on? Do I need to apply any type of sealant where the wonderboard and the flange meet before I install tile?

Also, one side of the tub sits closer to the wall framing. Thus when I set the wonderboard it seems as if it would be better to place the wonderboard inside of the flange. Otherwise, if I set the wonderboard above the flange a groove will be created between the tub and the wonderboard.
1. What should I do in this situation?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: