How do make a shower out of a tub?

Old 05-01-03, 05:53 AM
A.Little
Visiting Guest
Question How do make a shower out of a tub?

I am a first time home buyer and recently purcahsed an older home that has only one bathroom. The bathroom only contains a tub, no shower!! Although I have a dad who is very handy, I am very new to fixing/remodeling. So if someone has any idea where I should start with turning my tub into a shower I would really be greatful. Here is the dilemma:

1. We thought we could take the tub out and just install a new shower, the problem is the stairs going up to the bathroom are very narrow and we don't believe a shower would fit up.

2. Could you somehow arrange the plumbing so a shower head could be installed over the existing tub? If so would I have to do something about the walls around the tub to keep them from the moisture? Currently there is tile about waist high around the tub where the walls are. Please help! Even a link to any info would be great.
Thanks!!

Old 05-01-03, 08:24 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You could install a shower head. This would involve changing the tub controls and spout, at least. I recall that there are some models along the lines of those found in some older homes that have the piping running up the wall on the surface to the shower head. Otherwise, the wall would have to be opened and the plumbing changed.

You are right about the moisture problem with the existing wall. Something needs to be run up about 6 feet from the floor to protect the walls. Extending the tile might be a good choice.

Alternatively, a tub/shower surround might be the ticket to it all. Since the wall and its tile may have to be removed and the current tile will be too short to protect the wall, a surround installed after the plumbing work would provide for a new surface protecting the walls and covering the repairs. This could be installed using the existing tub.

Here's a link to the project.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/rm_kitchen_...376182,00.html

Hope this helps.

Old 05-03-03, 12:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

You have a number of options.
They make shower and tub units that come in sections, and you can replace the old tub. Look at plumbing supply stores.
Or, you can replumb what you have.
They also make conversion kits that include showerhead and plumbing fixtures, or you could re-do it yourself.
You can make a rectangular shower curtain holder that hangs from the ceiling out of pipe (metal or plastic), and overlap three shower curtains to protect the walls. (I did this back in the other "ought-one" when I was in college.)
Good Luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: