bathroom remodel

Old 05-06-03, 12:45 PM
bryanjrobinson
Visiting Guest
bathroom remodel

I'm remodeling our bathroom and I've taken down all ceramic tile and backing to the studs. We had a tub installed and I have installed greenboard around the tub. I have been told that I could tile directly on the greenboard. Is this true or do I need to install some sort of backer board and vapor barrier? Is DuRock the same as backerboard? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-07-03, 08:01 AM
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
If there is a shower in this tub surround, then the greenboard is not an approved underlayment for tile in this application. Remember, greenboard (and all sheetrock) is nothing more than dust compressed between two peices cardboard, which will become a soggy soft messy mush if (when) it gets wet.

An acceptable underlayment for tile in a bath/shower surround is cement board, of which there are many types (hadribacker, wonderboard, durock, etc.).

The cement board does not need the greeboard beneath it, but it does need a plastic barrier between it and the studs. The plastic should start near the ceiling, and hang down into the tub, slightly overlapping the tub nailing flange.

To bond your tile to your cement board, use a thinset mortar cement, which comes as a dry powder, to which you add water, to make a thick mixture, which will not pour out of the mixing container.

Do not use mastic or "pre-mixed" thinset, or any product that comes ready to apply without mixing. These pre-mixed products are not appropriate to this application, as they are water-soluable, and when wet, will soften, resulting in tiles with may fall off.

Good luck.

Old 05-07-03, 08:35 AM
bryanjrobinson
Visiting Guest
Thanks a lot for the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: