Shower water pressure

Old 12-11-99, 01:54 AM
Visiting Guest
Recently the water pressure in the shower started to be very low when first turned on and after a few minutes go to normal. Now it starts low and stays low. This is in a private house with no other water turned on.
What might be causing this?

Old 12-11-99, 04:09 PM
Visiting Guest
Try cleaning the shower head. Also, with the shower head removed turn the water on. Same problem(?), then chaulk it up to old galvanized pipes (most likely). Over the years (about 20 to 40) depending on water quality galvanized pipes rust internally. Water flow is reduced, and sometimes complete restriction occurs. The solution: replacement. If you have copper pipe, try flushing the water heater, and the hot and cold water lines. If that doesn't work, the valve body may be clogged with sediment.

Old 12-14-99, 06:35 PM
Visiting Guest
I agree with the Valve body being blocked internally. It is too common for rust and sediment to enter the mixing valve and render it useless. While replacing the mixing valve may seem costly, trying to clean it, then finding out it didn't work is much more costly in time.

Old 12-21-99, 10:23 AM
Visiting Guest
Sondra, As an added note. If all else has failed, remove the valve and get a flashlight and look into the opening. This same problem happened to me and I found a large piece of rubber washer lodged in the opening restricting water flow. I had to use a piece of stiff wire to remove it but it worked. Good luck, Caterpillar

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: