Bathroom vent fan

Old 12-27-99, 07:36 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

When installing a vent fan in the bathroom should I vent it into the attic or out the roof? Also would it cause condensation in teh attic if I did vent it that route??

Old 12-30-99, 12:02 AM
Visiting Guest
Not exactly sure Charlie, but you may want to check with local codes. I believe they require the bathroom to be vented through the roof. - ToolMan

Old 12-30-99, 01:56 AM
Visiting Guest
Vent through roof. Can tie into an existing vent with street-T in attic, if it is near another vent. bathroom vent fans usually require a larger (maybe 3") vent line.Check code, as he recommended.

Old 01-02-00, 07:17 PM
Visiting Guest
The bathroom is one of the greatese sources of condensation in any house. If you are going to install a fan, by all means, vent it outside.

Venting into the attic will dramatically increase the amount of humidity and can cause serious problems with your insulation and could eventually cause problems with your roof.

Don't go cheap. Buy the largest volume fan you can find. Better too big than too small.
Don't go cheap. It could really cost you in the long run.

------------------
Anyone without a sense of humour is at the mercy of the rest of us :-)

Old 02-10-05, 09:17 AM
rogerb
Visiting Guest
VENT FAN OUTSIDE! Vent through roof is preferred. If this is not practicale or beyond your skill or comfort level (leaky roofs suck) then vent to the soffit. Soffit vents are available at most building specialty stores. Rogerb

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: