New Sink Draining REAL slow

Old 01-09-00, 01:34 AM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

I just finished putting in a new sink in my bathroom (along w/ a new vanity) - The old sink's drain was totally galvanized piping and not exactly done to code... Anyway, I put the new sink in and did the drain as close to code as I could but it isn't draining quick (if at all)... I dumped a whole gallon of drain cleaner (sulfuric acid) down the (now pvc) pipes and it didnt help a bit.... Any suggestions?

Description of Drain setup:
from the bottom of the sink the drain extends about 6-7 inches then goes into the Pea-trap, coming up from the pea-trapthe pipe bends as it should but also turns not quite 90 degrees to meet up with the "down-shoot" of the drain which goes into the floor of the bathroom.

Further, if I pull the stopper up (to close the drain) and wait a bit and then open the drain again some air bubbles come up and water shoots out of the overflow hole on the top rim of the sink.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

LKATZ98

Old 01-09-00, 04:59 AM
Visiting Guest
LKATZ98:
Sounds like your problem is your air vent for the sink. Do you have one. Is it plugged ? I am sure this is where your problem is since you can make it bubble back.
If there is no vent for the air, the water will not drain or will drain bery slowly.
Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 01-09-00, 10:26 AM
Visiting Guest
Had same problem with my downstairs bathroom sink when we moved into our new house. The plumber did not vent the sink drain. I added a T in the drain line and put in a vent made to go under the sink cabinet. You probably just have a plugged vent like Jack said (check that first), but this is another solution. You can get them at most plumbing supply places.

Old 02-10-05, 09:29 AM
rogerb
Visiting Guest
Slow draining sinks that are not build to code almost always drain slowly because of improper of absent venting. Check that there is a vent and that it is not blocked. If the sink is not connected to a vent you may be able to connect to an existing vent by extending the sink drain through the ceiling to the attic where you will be able to connect to the main vent before it exits the roof. In cases where access to an existing vent is not possable and access to the roof impractacle you may be able to use a "cheater vent". This is a small device that connects to the drain well above the high water line. It allows air into the drain lines but prevents air ( sewer gas) back into the house. Check local building stores and also check local building codes. Some codes allow these devices and some do not. Rogerb

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: