Repairing grout in shower

Old 05-09-03, 03:47 PM
aylthc
Visiting Guest
Question Repairing grout in shower

I have a new construction shower stall with 4x4" tile throughout (wall & floor). It has been a little over a year, and minor hairline cracks in the grout are appearing, usually at corners (mostly wall-floor, some wall-wall) due to settling, but no loose pieces.

I would like to fix these myself to prevent future problems, but am confused about what to do. Some books say use waterproof grout while others say there is no such thing. A response to an earlier thread talked about sealing the grout (which did not sound like they were talking about caulk). I went to my friendly neighborhood Home Depot and the "expert" said to use the Pre-Mixed Tile Grout (by Custom Building Products) for a small job like this and use silicon seal on top to be double sure, but the directions said "Dry areas only". What should I do ?!

Thanks for your advice!

Old 05-12-03, 06:27 AM
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
Most importantly, do not use the pre-mixed grout for your shower.

Just so I have it correctly, the grout is cracking where walls meet walls and the floor meets the walls? These intersections should not be grouted, they should be caulked with silicone caulking.

Recommend that you remove the grout joint from the intersecting walls and floor joints, and fill with 100% silicone caulk.

Better, yet, if this is new construction and you are withing the 1 year builders warrranty, have the builder back to fix it.

Old 05-13-03, 12:29 PM
aylthc
Visiting Guest
Thanks Brewbeer. Yes, the minor cracks are at the wall-wall and wall-floor joints. The builder grouted throughout and used silicone caulk only around the door. Unfortunately I am beyond my 1-yr warranty by several months.

Intead of scraping out the grout, would it be feasible to "double it up" and caulk on top of the cracked grout, making sure the caulk gets into the crack? Of course I would clean out any loose grout first. I assume having grout and caulk is better than just caulk, or am I wrong? Thanks.

Old 05-14-03, 06:37 AM
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
It is possible to do what you are suggesting, but removing the grout is the better way to go. Grout is somewhat porus (compared to tile or caulk), and it will hold moisture and support mildew growth. If you caulk over it, you may (will eventually) get growth under the new caulk.

Old 05-14-03, 10:20 AM
pmyers23
Visiting Guest
I would also agree to move the grout before caulking. You wan that caulk to really get into the joint. I used a rotozip with a tile bit to do this very easily.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: