Reinstalling toliet on ceramic tile

Old 02-01-00, 01:43 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I need to know if there are any special steps to putting a toliet down on ceramic tile? Ceramic to porcilin do I need to use plumbers puddy?

Old 02-01-00, 05:51 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Just use a standard wax seal, if flange is level and secure, on tile floor. You can caulk around base with tub&tile caulk,if you want to.

Old 02-07-00, 07:40 PM
Visiting Guest
If you used wonder board you may want to consider using a double thickness wax ring (cost is negligable)and you will need longer flange bolts. Do not crank the nuts on too tight or you will crack your bowl.

Old 10-25-06, 07:10 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
don't caulk around a toilet!

Caulking around a toilet is a really bad idea. If your toilet ever leaks, instead of water coming out around the bottom and letting you know there is a problem you'll hide the problem and end up with a rotted out flood and a huge project before you know what hit you.

Old 10-25-06, 08:04 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Caulking around a toilet is often, though not always, required by a building inspector. To avoid the issue above, I will caulk the perimeter of the toilet base, leaving a section at the rear of the toilet without caulking. That way, should you encounter a leak, you will notice it.

Caulking also eliminates the possibility of "waste material" seeping under the edges of the toilet (guys can't aim worth a darn) causing a chronic smell in the room.

Old 10-25-06, 08:54 AM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You guys do realized this is a thread from 6 years ago right? Great input, but we try not to bump old threads like this. The original poster is long gone, or at least has resolved this long since. (I hope!) The information is here for others to search for and add a question, but posting an answer to an old question is something we avoid.

Thanks guys!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: