Caulk problem w/tub surround

Old 05-12-03, 03:53 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Caulk problem w/tub surround

I put in a new tub and one piece surround about 2 months ago. The caulk around the rim of tub/surround keeps peeling up. It doesn't want to stick to the tub at all. I've been using caulk made for bathrooms and have tried two different kinds with the same results. I now have it all cleaned off once again and was wondering if anyone knew of a type of caulk that may be better than the others......

I was also thinking of buying that stick-on type caulk where you just peel and stick. Anyone ever try this??

Thanks ,

Ron

Old 05-13-03, 06:38 AM
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
Use pure silicone caulk, like the Type II stuff. Make sure your surfaces are absolutely clean before applying the caulk.

Old 05-14-03, 12:07 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Some designs that I've seen don't require caulking. My present plastic tub/surround combo doesn't, and you can't really put caulk either as the surround will move when you lay on it, and the caulk would loose it's grip. I've had it for more then 1 year, and didn't have any water "leak" out of the tub/shower.

Old 05-18-03, 08:00 AM
Dustygirl01
Visiting Guest
Hi...

My surround does the same thing where it meets the tub. The surround wall "gives" a little when pressed on, and pulls right away from the caulk.

I'm going to carefully redo it, trying to shoot the caulk up and behind the wall as well, and then just remember not to press on the wall.

Professional plumbers installed my surround and caulked it.

Old 05-22-03, 03:54 PM
masterjoe
Visiting Guest
Talking Inadequate support??

Did you install an adequate support for the tub when you installed it??......like mortar bed or expandable foam....??
If all caulking peels up, it may not be a result of a wrong kind of caulking but the edge of the tub may be slightly bowing due to the weight being exerted and removed from the tub.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: