Porcelain Sink/Rust

Old 02-08-00, 08:14 PM
Visiting Guest
A cleaning woman came and used some harsh scrubber on our porcelain cast iron sink, down around the drain and on the drain. I am having the drain replaced. Can anything be done about the 1/8 inch wide ring of rust on the porcelain? I talked to a refinisher who said he probably can't match the blue color, the texture will be different, and he can't guarantee it won't rust through.

Old 02-09-00, 05:10 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi Sacha:

Boy, that must have been a very strong cleaner to break through the porcelain. Chances are that the rust was already under the surface and the lady simply broke away the surface material.

When you have the drain replaced, it's quite possible that they will be able to install an over sized drain that will hide the rust. However, you have to do something about the rust or plan to replace the sink. I'd sand off as much of the rust as possible both on the top and bottom of the sink. Then, brush on 3 coats of rust resistant paint. This will delay the rusting problem. However, I would consider replacing the sink at this point in time. Bathroom sinks aren't as expensive as you might think and would save you a lot of time and bother.

Ted

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: