How to find the shower leak?

Old 03-06-00, 09:55 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Please help:

I have a shower that leaks down to the floor below (kitchen ceiling), is there a test I can do to find the source of this leak. I already tried retiling the floor, it didn't work. I also tried plugging up the drain and letting water sit on the shower floor and still couldn't find the source to the leak. What other test can I do? If I can find the source I am hoping I can repair that problem with out having to redo the whole shower. I appreciate any advice anyone has on this problem. Thank you.

Old 03-07-00, 12:58 AM
Visiting Guest
Your leak is most likely in the shower drain. Simply cut a hole in the ceiling below the shower and check it out. Could be the drain itself, the p-trap of the drain, or the drain pipe that goes to the wall of the shower where the vent is attached. After you fix the leak, patch the ceiling, which, due to water damage, most likely needs to be repaired anyway.

Old 03-07-00, 03:26 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Agree with lefty 100%. It seems to me that about 99% of tile shower leaks seem to have something to do with the drain. The majority of the houses that I list with older tile showers have this problem (I've just come to expect it), and the seller ends up having to fix it. The longer that you wait, the worse it will be. Of course, it could be something else, but bet lefty nailed it. Good Luck!

Old 03-08-00, 03:12 PM
Visiting Guest
I had a similar problem with a shower leak, but didn't realize it until it dripped through the living room ceiling. The source of the leak was not the drain, but the tub faucet itself. When the stem on the faucet was pulled up to run the water through the shower head, some water would run back into the wall because of a bad seal between the copper pipe and the faucet. The leak would only occur when water was coming from the shower head. Good luck.

quote:<HR>Originally posted by elc:
Please help:

I have a shower that leaks down to the floor below (kitchen ceiling), is there a test I can do to find the source of this leak. I already tried retiling the floor, it didn't work. I also tried plugging up the drain and letting water sit on the shower floor and still couldn't find the source to the leak. What other test can I do? If I can find the source I am hoping I can repair that problem with out having to redo the whole shower. I appreciate any advice anyone has on this problem. Thank you.
<HR>

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: