Shower stall cleaning

Old 02-19-00, 04:30 PM
Visiting Guest
I am removing old caulk from the shower stall where the tile or aluminum frame meets the shower pan. This has proved time-consuming and difficult. I've used "Grout-be-gone", putty knife, screwdriver, with minimal success. I wanted to clean the aluminum frame which holds the glass wall and the shower's door. It is discolored and has mineral build-up. Any tips for making my job go easier and more smoothly?

Old 02-21-00, 04:46 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi Susan:

I recently changed the caulk in our master bathroom. The easiest tool to use (in my opinion) is one of those razor blade window scrapers. The caulk is designed to stay plyable and can be very difficult to remove. The razor blade gets under the caulk and makes it a lot easier to remove.

Your local hardware store should be able to provide you with an aluminum cleaner. As far as the calcium buildup, the best product I've used for this is C.L.R. Make sure you use rubber gloves. This stuff is strong and hard on the hands. There are generic products that claim to work as well. Your call.

Ted

Old 03-11-00, 07:11 AM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by susanrh:
I am removing old caulk from the shower stall where the tile or aluminum frame meets the shower pan. This has proved time-consuming and difficult. I've used "Grout-be-gone", putty knife, screwdriver, with minimal success. I wanted to clean the aluminum frame which holds the glass wall and the shower's door. It is discolored and has mineral build-up. Any tips for making my job go easier and more smoothly?<HR>

Dear Susan,
By now you probably finished your caulk removing job but I will post this answer for anyone else who may encounter this problem. As a professional refinisher time is money. Everytime we refinish a tub our first step is removing old caulk. I agree it can be a pain. So accomplish this by using POLYURETHANE or EPOXY paint stripper. Heavy duty coatings remover. Make sure you wear gloves cause its really hot. Brush a coat of this stripper along the caulk line. Within a minute it will have turned to toothpaste like substance. Now just wipe the caulk line with a rag. Then scrubb area with baking soda and water. It's that simple. Note: There are what is known as caulk digesters but with a gel like consistency but they are slow working. Hope this helps. FINAL NOTE: DO NOT DO THIS IF YOUR CAULK LINE MEETS FIBERGLASS. IT WILL MELT THE FIBERGLASS or make sure you find a stripper that says FIBERGLASS safe. They will work fine too.

------------------
Gary Goel/Owner Newkote Kitchen & Bath Refinishing
We are just a shade better...
gary@newkot.com

Old 03-12-00, 10:08 AM
Visiting Guest
For lime and calcium build up I use Castrol Superclean.

------------------
MTAC - VB,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Old 03-12-00, 11:39 AM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by More than a Carpenter:
For lime and calcium build up I use Castrol Superclean.

<HR>

Thanks for the product tips. Out of frustation, I went to my supply shelf and found a jug of Safer paint stripper. Yes, it worked, and yes, it took a long time. No, it did not harm the fiberglass pan or the aluminum frame.
I'll check out the Castrol because the CLR didn't do so well on the aluminum frame.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: