toilet flange in concrete foundation

Old 03-30-00, 08:26 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I need to replace my toilet flange in my bathroom. I have a concrete foundation and the flange is leaded in the dwv pipe. Can I replace it with a PVC or do I have use the same type of dwv pipe (4")?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-00, 11:52 PM
Visiting Guest
First off, to replace any part of the flange, you're going to have to remove some concrete to get to the joint where the flange is attached to the waste arm. At that point you can adapt to ABS and install a new flange. There are repair kits available that you simply attach to an existing broken flange that I would try first. A $10 fix that works is a far sight better than the $400 to $600 it could take to replace the entire flange, repair the concrete and lay a new floor!

Old 04-04-00, 02:30 AM
Visiting Guest
It may be that you have a brass floor flange mounted to a lead waste arm. If that is the case you will need to chip around the lead carefully so as not to puncture it. The new flange will have to be brass or cast. The only way to use plastic to replace a lead waste arm is to break out concrete until you get to the pipe that the lead bend is in. Replumb with plastic from there. Any way you go is expensive, except for the repair kit and they do work quite well.