Broken Ceramic Tile

Old 04-17-00, 08:50 AM
Visiting Guest
In removing a vanity, several ceramic wall tiles were broken beyond repair and now need to be replaced. Most of the other tile is in fine shape. Is there a simple way to fill in new tile where the old ones were? Approx 6 tiles broke...help!!!

Old 04-17-00, 10:34 AM
Visiting Guest
If there are any tiles still attached to wall and are bordering other tiles which are in good shape you must carefully chisel out the damaged ones without destroying the wall board or the other tile. Sometimes you can scribe the tiles with a glass cutter usually in an "X" and lightly tap tiles with a hammer so the crack in small pieces making it easier to remove the tile. Once you remove the old tile and are confident that the wall board is sound, make a dry run by applying the new tiles using double sided tape. I do this so I can see if I need to either build up the surface or take some down so that the tiles will be flush with the existing. The tape is only a few mils so it will not really make a difference. If everything looks good purchase
some tile mastic and begin applying the tile.
Then regrout. You can purchase grout tints if you are trying to match the grout color. Hopefully you can find a tile that matches.

quote:<HR>Originally posted by reardons:
In removing a vanity, several ceramic wall tiles were broken beyond repair and now need to be replaced. Most of the other tile is in fine shape. Is there a simple way to fill in new tile where the old ones were? Approx 6 tiles broke...help!!!<HR>

------------------
Gary Goel/Owner Newkote Kitchen & Bath Refinishing
We are just a shade better...
gary@newkote.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: