Repairing cracks in fiberglass shower wall

Old 06-05-00, 11:07 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Two months ago we had a two-piece shower/tub unit put into a new basement bathroom project. We are now getting ready to redo the upstairs bathroom and were preparing the basement bathroom for our daily use, when I noticed the CRACK! There is a small, two-inch crack in the fiberglass shower wall (actually a 1-2 inch ledge in the wall)! I plan to call the plumbers, but after two months they're not going to believe that we didn't crack it ourselves, despite the fact that we have yet to use the shower.

So, I thought I would ask this group for a tip on repairing this crack myself. Isn't there some fiberglass tape that can be applied, sanded, sanded again, then apply some resin and buff it? I need all the help I can get...while I wipe this egg off my face.

Thank you,

Old 06-06-00, 12:38 PM
Visiting Guest
You must drill tiny holes where the crack begind ends. This will stop it from running. Then aplly a polyester filler over the effected area. Make sure you scuff the aread on sides of the crack about an inch out. Use 400 grit wet sand paper. Sand filler so that it is flush and smooth with surrounding area. Then Purchase a small portable sprayer and spray with a urethane two component coating. Let dry over night, then polish using a polishing compound. I like the 1500 grit super fine from Mcguires. You can get it at any autostore. The polyester filler from MICRO-LITE sold at NAPA auto parts a good one. Cheap too... If you are wondering what Portable a portable sprayer look like then go to http://www.newkote.com I have a picture there. Be sure to mask just the area you are going spray then apply the coating.
Gary Goel
Owner Newkote Kitchen & Bath DIY KITS
quote:<HR>Originally posted by JCMullican:
Two months ago we had a two-piece shower/tub unit put into a new basement bathroom project. We are now getting ready to redo the upstairs bathroom and were preparing the basement bathroom for our daily use, when I noticed the CRACK! There is a small, two-inch crack in the fiberglass shower wall (actually a 1-2 inch ledge in the wall)! I plan to call the plumbers, but after two months they're not going to believe that we didn't crack it ourselves, despite the fact that we have yet to use the shower.

So, I thought I would ask this group for a tip on repairing this crack myself. Isn't there some fiberglass tape that can be applied, sanded, sanded again, then apply some resin and buff it? I need all the help I can get...while I wipe this egg off my face.

Thank you,
<HR>

[This message has been edited by Newkote (edited June 06, 2000).]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: