Re-tiling around a bathtub

Old 06-19-00, 06:51 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

More than fifteen years ago, presumably because the tile failed or a leak developed, someone built a tileboard enclosure around my bathtub. They attached it right over the tile. It's lasted a long time, and is apparently watertight, but it looks really cheesy and cheap.

I want to remove the tileboard, remove the tile behind it, and retile. I realize that the wall behind the tile may or may not be in good condition. I don't know if it's a floated mortar bed, or if it's just plaster and lathe. I know it's not drywall.

I also know that the studs inside the wall may have suffered water damage. I mean, there's no apparent water damage, but I'm prepared for that eventuality.

Now, my question is this. Assuming the worst, that the whole wall needs to be rebuilt, is this a job that a competent handyman can do, or should it really be referred to a license, bonded and insured contractor?

Money is an issue, but I also want it done right, both from a quality and an esthetic point of view.

Thanks!

Old 06-20-00, 06:13 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Personally, I'm comfortable with all aspects of this type of repair other than the actual setting of the tiles.

We recently did this in our own bathroom. It was a messy job, but, only called for basic carpentry skills.

If you take on all the demolition and re-building of the wall area then call in a tile guy, you will save a ton of money. I'd consult with the tile company first to make sure you install the proper backing materials.

Ted

Old 06-20-00, 01:39 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your reply!

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Ted Heissner:
If you take on all the demolition and re-building of the wall area then call in a tile guy, you will save a ton of money.<HR>

Well, actually, I'm going to do no part of it myself. I can paint, but I don't have even the most basic carpentry skills (nor the tools).

It looks like my choices are to call in a handyman, someone who SAYS he can do tile, and whose previous customers give him pretty good marks, or to call in a real construction company to handle the whole thing.

What is it about tile that makes it such a specialized skill? Is it because it's hard to achieve a good look, or a long-lasting job?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: