Removing paint over ceramic tile

Old 07-25-00, 11:44 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

The previous renters of our apartment decided to change the color of the ceramic tiles on the bathroom walls by painting over them with latex paint. I've been able to pull up some of the paint (2 layers) by cutting over the grout between the tiles and then using a small knife to scrape and pry the paint loose. Unfortunately I've also been gouging the tiles in the process. Is there any way for me to remove/loosen the paint without having to scrape and ruin the finish on the tiles?
Thanks

Old 07-30-00, 07:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Use a paint stripper from clean stripp. Paint with china bristle brush then let bubble. It will fall right off. Lay paper down on tub to catch falling paint. Use wire scotch bright pad to clean surface and grout lines along with a good cleaner when all paint is removed. Last two cleanings should be with bleach then water. Bleach will whiten the painted residue in the grout lines.
quote:<HR>Originally posted by kula:
The previous renters of our apartment decided to change the color of the ceramic tiles on the bathroom walls by painting over them with latex paint. I've been able to pull up some of the paint (2 layers) by cutting over the grout between the tiles and then using a small knife to scrape and pry the paint loose. Unfortunately I've also been gouging the tiles in the process. Is there any way for me to remove/loosen the paint without having to scrape and ruin the finish on the tiles?
Thanks
<HR>

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: