Bathroom Floor

Old 06-03-03, 09:22 AM
fjclaus
Visiting Guest
Bathroom Floor

OK, doing a lot of work now that we officially own the house. First will be the bathroom.

The wife wants to redo the walls, I want to do the floor. Right now we have those little square ceramic tiles (about 1 inch square) on the floor. The only spot that looks different is right in front of the tub, it looks like there is a thin layer of cement over the tiles. My goal is to cover that with either sheet or sticky tile.

I would like to know what the easiest way to do it would be. should I just get some floor leveler and spread it to cover the groves, or put a piece of underlayment down and put the tiles on top of that?

My bathroom is not all that big. I just have a sink just inside the door, a toilet next to that and the tub across from the toilet. All of this is a regtangular shaped room.

Any suggestions?

Old 06-03-03, 03:35 PM
mudder
Visiting Guest
Bathroom Floor

you'd do well to bust up these ceramics and clean up the substrate checking the area around tub and toilet for rotting or water damaged wood. then if the floor is level and well fastened you could put sheet flooring. I don't like prepasted tiles in bathrooms the seems always shift and allow moisture in.
I dont think floor leveler will stick to glossy ceramic and just puting sticky tiles down on it wont work.

Old 06-04-03, 06:00 AM
fjclaus
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advise. I did notice you mentioned rotting wood. I was told the house was built on a concrete Slab. Would the bathroom be the same?

Old 06-04-03, 10:10 AM
mudder
Visiting Guest
Bathroom Floor

unless the bathroon is 3-5 inches higher than the rest of the floor and there is no crawl space or basement I imagine its on the same slab and just has a layer of floor leveler under the tiles.

Old 06-10-03, 10:17 AM
JuliaS
Visiting Guest
You should definitely try to remove the tile and clean up the floor, as opposed to building up. You will be able to check if foundations are good before installing the new floor.

I would also not recommend vinyl in a bathroom. Ceramic tile is a premium product. Most of the time, you don't need a lot of tile to cover a bathroom floor so why not use a good, more expensive material?

JS

Last edited by JuliaS; 06-10-03 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-12-03, 01:28 PM
Enriques
Visiting Guest
similar situation

I have a similar situation - 1 inch x 1 inch tile in a very small bathroom, with a cement floor beneath.

The difference being that I'm renting and therefore don't want to drop a lot of $$. (I have a very cheap NYC landlord who would laugh himself to tears, then tell me "where to go" if I asked him to replace/fix the faulty floor)

From the posts above - would the floor leveler stick to old, non glossy tiles? The tiles are worn, have been there for at least 50+ years, and it looks like someone, at some point in time, had tried to paint the top of them. (ugh!)

Basically, the floor is hideous. If I try to take the tiles out, I'd have to do it when my landlord wasn't around, or he'd have a fit. Even if I did manage to chip them out, how does one put in an "underlayment" onto the existing cement floor? It sounds like a lot more work than we'd like to put into this basement apartment, so we were hoping that there was some sort of adhesive vinyl floor that could fit the bill.

thanks!

Old 06-12-03, 01:42 PM
mudder
Visiting Guest
similar situation

the problem with adhesive tiles or rolled stock is that it will show all the grout lines of the old tile below.Personally I cant guarantee that any old leveler will adhere it may be a specific brand that will but I,ve seen flooring people apllying leveler to old tiles with no qualms, the sales people at a flooring store should be able to help out in that regard re material/brands etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: