Replacing broken toilet flange

Old 08-06-00, 12:37 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I needed to replace an 20 year old toilet. When I removed the old one and set the new one it was about 1/2" higher than the flange. The flange is 3/4" above the concrete floor. "Rocking Horse" toilet. Also I noticed the flange broken at the bolt holes so I can't tighten down the new one even if shimmed. The old one didn't rock.

The flange seems to be of a black plastic type. Just had been set to high for new toilets.

What can I do? How can I replace the broken flange and raise the floor or lower the flange?

Old 08-06-00, 02:16 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by fracandi:
I needed to replace an 20 year old toilet. When I removed the old one and set the new one it was about 1/2" higher than the flange. The flange is 3/4" above the concrete floor. "Rocking Horse" toilet. Also I noticed the flange broken at the bolt holes so I can't tighten down the new one even if shimmed. The old one didn't rock.

The flange seems to be of a black plastic type. Just had been set to high for new toilets.

What can I do? How can I replace the broken flange and raise the floor or lower the flange?
<HR>

Old 08-06-00, 02:24 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by fracandi:

<HR>

One way that you might fix this is to carefully hacksaw out the old flange with several cuts through it, but not the pipe that its connected to. Chisel out and remove the pieces. The new flange should set flush with the floor. Drill the concrete and set lead plugs to screw flange screws into to secure it. Install new wax seal and toilet bolts to hold down the new toilet, which should sit on the concrete. To level toilet after you get it "seated" good onto the wax seal, you can shim the edges with strips of cedar shingles. Then add bead of silicone caulk around base. Should do it. If you run into problems, come back in here and ask one of the pro plumbers (I'm not one). Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: