new shower and bath

Old 08-14-00, 05:51 PM
Visiting Guest
i have installed new fiber. showerstall. would it be ok to put greenboard over it. it is only about 12" clearance above.
also installed new tub i am putting greenboard in all of the bathroom. is this ok to put around the tub or do i need to install this first then put in the tub and then put in something more water resistant over that down to the lip of the tub. thanks Rodney

Old 08-14-00, 07:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Putting the green board on the walls (NOT ON THE CEILING!) throught the bathroom is fine, especially in the 12" above the shower stall. I would install a fiberglass surround on the walls around the tub (over green board) because water has a way of getting splashed pretty far up the walls sometimes. Also install an exhaust fan in the bathroom and use it. Fanally, after all of this, don't skimp on the paint. Use a good quality Kitchen and bath paint, and expect to pay $20 to $25 per gallon for it.

Old 08-15-00, 07:34 PM
Visiting Guest
You said that I did not need to put greenboard on the ceiling in the bathroom???
Is this in all of the bathroom or just over the shower? If I do not put it on the ceiling what do I need to use? I am installing vent for both bathrooms. Thanks for all of your help!!!!!
Rodney

Old 08-16-00, 06:59 AM
Visiting Guest
You cannot put greenboard on the ceiling because it isn't strong enough (although some people do it anyway). Greenboard will sag. Use regular drywall. Paint it with a good enamel paint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: