Bathtub Caulking

Old 08-27-00, 10:27 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have had problems with the caulking in my bathtub cracking and lifting up. I have used used different brands, The last was DAP Kwik Seal Tub & Tile Adhesive Caulk. I made sure all the old caulking has been removed, followed all the directions and even waited a week before it was exposed to water. It still cracks in the middle and now is coming up from tub and the backsplash. It has been very frustrating any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-28-00, 11:05 AM
Visiting Guest
Try a silicone caulk. It is more flexible but the silicone is a little harder to put on neatly.

The caulk is cracking because the tub moves down when people and water are in it - when it is empty, it flexes back up.

Clean the old caulk off and wipe the surfaces with alcohol and let it dry. Fill the tub 1/4 to 1/3 full of water and then caulk with the silicone. Get the area full but try not to use too much because it is toughter to get off than latex caulk. Have paper towels and a bottle of alcohol handy. Smooth the caulk out with your finger. You may dip your finger in the alcohol to get a better finish on the caulk. Let it sit overnightand then try it out. I hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: