backerboard

Old 08-29-00, 05:58 PM
G
Visiting Guest
I'm redoing my tub enclosure with tile. I'm down to the bare studs and ready to put up backerboard. The tiles are going up approx 3/4 of the way up the wall, the rest will be textured and painted. Can backerboard be textured and painted? Or should I put greenboard the rest of the way to the ceiling?
Thanks
bj

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-00, 06:46 PM
G
Visiting Guest
The best thing to use would be cement board.It usually comes in sheets of 32" x 60" x1/2" and is completely waterproof. You glue the tile on this and you will never change your wall again, even if the grout comes off you just clean the tiles and glue it back on. The rest of the wall above the tiles you can use waterproof gyprock and finish normally.

Old 08-29-00, 08:58 PM
G
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hello,

I respectfully disagree with Joel. I've used a lot of cement board and agree that it does last forever, but its a real pain in the you-know-what to install. I would use greenboard the whole way up. If you seal the tile well, and do a good job, greenboard will last until you and I no longer care. I know I'll probably catch it for voicing the "good enough is good enough" opinion, but I don't view bathroom remodeling as an art. Its only my opinion.

Good Luck!

Old 08-29-00, 09:01 PM
G
Visiting Guest
Hello again!

I forgot to say what I would use to texture. I would recommend a mud-dobber (a custom knock-down texture tool) or a stipple roller. Because these are the easiest methods to texture that I know of.
Good Luck!

Old 08-30-00, 07:24 AM
G
Visiting Guest
I agree with Joel and disagree with TextureWiz -- i recommend you use cement board behind the tile and green board above the tile. To directly answer your first question, backerboard cannot be textured and painted -- it just won't look good. One alternative is to use all cement board, and tile all the way to the ceiling -- it's usually no more expensive since you pay through the nose for those bullnose edging pieces and you can avoid them if you tile all the way to the ceiling.