New Bathroom

Old 09-11-00, 08:54 AM
Visiting Guest
I am puttin in a basement bath and have two questions. I heard the bath needs a 20amp circuit. Is that true?? I was just going to use 15 am 14gauge wire. Also, the fan. Can I vent that into a garage. I heard you should never vent to an attic but it doesnt seem like it would hurt a garage. There wont be any shower so there wouldnt be any warm moist air. Thanks, Scott

Old 09-13-00, 10:36 AM
Visiting Guest
Scott:

I'm neither an electrician nor a heating and ventilating contractor, but I can tell you that common sense dictates that you don't need a 20 amp circuit in your bathroom and you should run the fan duct to the outside.

Volts X Amps = Watts

That means each 60 watt light bulb in your bathroom will require a whopping 1/2 amp, so you've got enough headroom there to have light bulbs all around a mirror like in a Hollywood dressing room.

The motor on my bathroom ceiling fan draws 0.6 amps, so you've got the capacity to install a dozen of these, too, just in case one isn't enough.

While humidity in the garage may not be a concern, the possibility exists that gasoline fumes from your lawn mower, car and snowblower are going to be drawn into your bathroom when the dryer is on. If the building inspector see's it, he's going to make you change it anyway, so why not save some work and do it right in the first place. Run the vent pipe through the roof or a side wall. Hire a roofing contractor to install the roof vent, and you can do the rest yourself.

Old 09-13-00, 04:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Common sense aside, code says you need a 20 amp GFCI outlet in your bathroom. Nothing else in the bathroom should be on this circuit. The thought is you might want to use a hair dryer. Code also dictates where this outlet should be, but I don't remember what that is right now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: