Removing ceramic TP holder

Old 09-14-00, 06:43 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

We are getting ready to replace the vanity in our bathroom with one that is much larger. To do this, we must remove the ceramic toilet paper holder that is in the way. Is there an easy way to do this without damaging the surrounding tiles? Also, if I need to replace the tiles under the TP holder, I'd like to use existing tiles from a hidden area. What are the steps in removing and relocating tiles?

Thanks...

Old 09-14-00, 01:19 PM
Visiting Guest
There is not a easy way to remove the holder. It is adhered to the wall by thinset or some other type of ceramic tile adhesive. You could take a drill with a masonry bit and drill a series of holes in it and break it up. Once broken up, take a chisel and pry the old pieces off the wall.

As far as removing tile and using it someplace else, its difficult to remove tile without breaking it up. You will have to pry it up with a chisel.

No good news but good luck.

Old 09-22-00, 07:35 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

I was able to get the TP holder off in one piece! The mortar must have been old enough. I just used a chisel and hammer and eventually it came right off. The tile, on the other hand, could not be removed without breaking. I had to replace the tiles with new tiles. They are not the same color, but they will be mostly hidden behind the vanity anyway.

Old 09-22-00, 05:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the update. Glad everything worked out ok. Hope you are enjoying the vanity you installed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: