Is Limestone the best choice?

Old 06-16-03, 09:23 AM
bchilds
Visiting Guest
Question Is Limestone the best choice?

We have purchased limestone tiles for our bathroom floor, tub surround and wainscotting (sp?). We are ready to install it but have found that 4 of the floor tiles have already broken without us even touching them. We haven't even checked all of the other tiles yet. Is this unusual? I'm afraid we may have chosen the wrong type of tile for our first attempt at remodelling.
It's not too late to return the tiles, we've really just been sitting here looking at them and watching them fall apart. They also look very porous to me, and although I know they will be sealed, I am concerned that they may still not be totally waterproof.Does anyone out there have any thoughts or advice on this?

Old 06-16-03, 12:03 PM
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
The "best" tiles in terms of performance are porcelain and ceramic. Limestone, perhaps the "best looking" tile, are porous and susceptible to damage and various types of cleaners which may damage/dull the surface.

Old 06-16-03, 12:40 PM
bchilds
Visiting Guest
Thanks so much for your reply.
So, your saying that limestone may look the best but not be the best choice. The bathroom we are doing is going to be our childrens' bathroom. They are 2 and 3 right now, but they will be using it until they leave to go to college or whatever...
I would feel more comfortable using the ceramic or porcelain, but my husband wanted to go with higher end tiles since we are doing all of the labor ourselves. Do you have any specific recommendations for the type of tile we should use in this case?
(lots of splashing and spilling of things)
Thanks

Old 06-17-03, 07:44 AM
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
I think limestone would look best in a guest bath - one that rarely gets used. It will look better for longer.

In a kids bath, I'd use glazed ceramic on the walls, and porcelain on the floor. It's still possible to spend a lot of cash on these tiles, if you want to. Just go down to a tile store. The choices are much greater than local big-box.

Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: