Removing old tub

Old 09-26-00, 09:38 AM
Visiting Guest
Angry

I need some tips on removing an old bathtub and surrounding wallbaord. I have been told I may have to sledgehammer it. That sounds difficult any Ideas?
Bill

Old 09-26-00, 07:52 PM
Visiting Guest
If the tub is cast iron a sledge hammer is the easy way. If you want difficult try barring a 350 cast iron tub from it's position. Now that's difficult.

Old 09-27-00, 12:34 AM
Visiting Guest
Bill:

If this an old cast iron bath tub you may have to smash it. It's not really worth anything, and certainly not worth the fight of trying to carry it out in one piece.

If it's a steel tub with a baked on enamel finish, remove about two feet of the wallboard at the back of the tub and an inch on the side and front, and an inch or two beside the tub on the front and back walls below the top edge of the tub. Disconnect the drain by loosening the large nut holding it tight to the underside of the tub from below or screwing out the drain from above if you can. Disconnect the overflow from inside the tub, too. Pull the tub away from the side wall so that the lip clears the finished wall and raise the back end of the tub to get the tub into the upright position.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: