ceramic tile removal

Old 09-30-00, 07:41 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

The tiled floor and walls in my bathroom need to replaced. Several are cracked and I will never be able to match the color. The house is 39 years old and the tiles were set in thick mortar bed. I realize this removal of tiles will be labor intensive...am looking to hear from anyone who has done this type of project and can give me some advise on what to look forward to when I start the work.How long did it take you to complete the tile removal and would you recommend this as a DIY project?
Thanks.

Old 09-30-00, 06:54 PM
Visiting Guest
Kmbkat:

It could be that it may be easier to pull up the subfloor with the tiles already on them and replace that subfloor than to remove the floor tiles from the subfloor.
Here's how they should have built your house (whether or not it's built this way remains to be seen):
First they attach either floor boards or 3/4 inch plywood down over top of the floor joists. Then, they build the walls over top of that plywood or floor boards. Then they put down 1/4 or 3/8 inch plywood subfloor inside each "room".
Maybe remove the baseboards and see if you can see what the tiles are mortared on to. I should explain that I have never installed a ceramic tile floor, but I've been exposed to enough talk about it that I know a little about it.

So far as the wall tiles go, the way to take these off is with a chisel, a hammer and some eye protection. Put an old piece of scrap carpet in the tub upside down to protect the finish from the sharp tile pieces. Also, tie a cord around the chisel and the other end to your wrist so that if you drop the chisel you don't chip the tub.

If it's drywall you have on your bathroom wall, you'll basically wreck it removing the tile. If it's plaster, you should be able to get the tiles off with a chisel, then remove the mastic with a heat gun and scraper. It's not easy work, but I expect you'll survive. Putting the new tiles back up correctly takes more skill than taking the old ones down.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: