Leveling Bathroom Floor

Old 06-23-03, 10:27 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Leveling Bathroom Floor

I have removed a tub & shower unit that was built in and want to install new washer and dryer in its place. I checked for a level floor and found that in 60-inches it is zero at one end and 1/2" to 5/8" lower at the other. I am installing new tile to the existing floor and under the new washer/dryer I will add @5/8" or 3/4" thick plywood with a 1/4" thick lauan layer adhered/glued for the under tile layer. I will be adding plywood to stiffen the floor for the new units and am wondering how far should I space the shims apart in order that it give ample support for the additional sheathing?

Old 06-23-03, 07:15 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
parkpointer,

Not sure where this is going but I assume that it is going on a main wood floor structure. I would consider 2 options.

1. Put down a "tapered sleepers" 12" on center to correct the slope then 3/4" plywood over this. ***Now the issue is, is the floor sloping only where the tub was or all over?*** Issues like door threshold and any lip that you have to resolve if you only take care of slope in tub area. This could be tricky.

Special Note... Only issues to consider in finishing details is the door threshhold, toilet flange and possible drain extention for sink.

Obviously with all that you were intending to do, it will require some planning for tile and finishing aspects of it all. Plan ahead before starting.

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: