confussion on shower floor construction

Old 06-26-03, 01:05 PM
azsteve-o
Visiting Guest
confussion on shower floor construction

In my quest for knowledge on constucting a shower floor, I have gotten a lot of differing information. My shower will be constructed over a concrete foundation (no sub floor). the floor is approx. 36 X42. Is a wire mesh needed in the floor and wrapping around the curb? Can the curb consist of built up 2x4's covered with 15# felt, covered with liner and finally covered with cement board?

Old 06-26-03, 08:19 PM
azsteve-o
Visiting Guest
I've actually already visited the first 4 web sites you recommeneded. I am not doing a pre-fab shower, so I need to get more information on constructing the bed for my shower. None of these address when it is necessary to use metal lath of some type or when it is ok not to use any metal lathing. The advice is actually conflictual between some sites. Some sites say that for smaller showeres, which I would consider mine to be, that it is actaully detrimental to use lathing. Other sites don't even address the option of NOT using lathing. I'm still a little confused\.

Old 06-26-03, 08:27 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
azsteve-o,

Maybe this will help...I have not used metal lathe over concrete as this is considerd a SOLID SUBSTRATE. Metal lathe is used primarily when you have a wood substrate, where you don't want any give at all. I have taken the liberty of posting this also in the Decorate Forum under Tile, I'm sure our experts over there can enlighten you more than what I have expressed here.

I hope this helps...let us know how it's going!

Old 06-26-03, 08:33 PM
azsteve-o
Visiting Guest
That makes the most sense. Thank you for clearing that up. I am building over a concrete slab foundation, so figured that there was not a need for metal lathing.

Thanks Again!

Old 06-27-03, 06:16 AM
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
I built a shower over a concrete floor this past winter. Check out my project:

http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/show...r&pagenumber=2

To address a few of your questions:

You do not need wire lath on the floor.
You do need wire lath on the curb.
The order of curb construction is (1) framing, (2) PVC liner, (3) wire lath, (4) cement, and (5) tile.

No not use backer board on top of the liner in the curb construction. You will make holes in it when you screw in the backer board.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: