Refinishing a Bathtub

Old 11-06-00, 12:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

My daughters bathroom has a tub with those awful shower doors on it (they always look dirty). I want to remove the doors. Can the doors be removed without tearing up the tub and or the tile?
Also, the previous owners put a white plastic liner around the grout line between the tub and the wall. The liner is now all buckeled and grabs every bit of dirt and hair on the sticy inside of the liner. Can I take this off and just re-grout?
Thanks
Jill

Old 11-06-00, 02:09 PM
Visiting Guest
Yes and yes.

To remove the awful doors:
(1) Remove doors by lifting out.
(2) Remove top rail by lifting up (it's probably not attached by anything but gravity).
(3) Remove three screws holding each side rail to the wall. Remove side rails by lifting. They will also have a little caulk on the inside you may want to cut first with a knife.
(4) Pry bottom rail off tub -- it's probably held in place by caulk alone. You may need to slip a knife underneath and cut it away.
(5) Clean off any remaining caulk. Plug the screw holes on the sides with new caulk.

Yes, pull off the funky strip. Don't regrout, but instead recaulk with a white silicone caulk (removing all the old caulk first).

BTW: I love my doors on a tub. I've installed several. Perhaps you just have a cheap kind. The newer ones (not bottom of the line) look very attractive, work extremely well, don't have any channels to collect dirt, and have good glass that doesn't collect dirt easily either. Plan to spend $200 or more to get a "pretty good" one -- you can spend a lot more for top of the line.

Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: