Bath Vents

Old 07-08-03, 08:25 AM
jeregeh
Visiting Guest
Bath Vents

I just bought a house. It was built in 1948 and has no bathroom vents. Both bathrooms have windows right over the tubs. Do I need bathroom vents? If so where can I put them. (the attics is finished and the house is brick).

thanks

Old 07-08-03, 06:38 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
jeregeh@regent,

Most do not open their windows over the tub to prevent mositure problems like mildew and mold. This is more common in cold climate regions. The other problem with windows over tubs, especially with tub/shower combos is the issue of destroying the window itself. I have always removed the windows and replaced with glass block, ceramic tile. For those that would prefer fiberglass tub/shower units, we block the window and patch the outside. In any of the cases above, an exhaust fan is a must!

Code says there must be either an operable window or a mechanical exhaust fan.

Try these...options are available to you...

http://www.llbuildingproducts.com/ll...hfanpict0.html

http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_el...ns/default.asp

Hope this helps!

Old 07-09-03, 05:39 AM
jeregeh
Visiting Guest
Thanks...your tips gave me inspiration.

I think I will be able to vent both bathrooms...but the window over the tub thing I am not quite certian of yet. I thought about the glass block, and that will probably be the way to go...I am pretty sure you are right about the shower destroying the window...especially since we are putting new windows in the house.

thanks again.

Old 07-09-03, 05:41 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
jeregeh@regent,

You're very welcome!

Good Luck on whatever you choose to do!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: